Deck roofing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RORY12553

Minister of Fire
Dec 12, 2011
Southern NY
I have a two tier deck at my house. The top tier underneath has a "roof" on it meaning the water can't get to the lower tier. Currently the "roof" is particle board covered with a plastic tarp. No I am not the one who put this up. As anyone who is reading this can imagine the board is rotting and must come down. I am looking for a more permanent solution. I have a gutter setup already and there is a pitch set up so whatever I put up would flow slightly down towards the gutter. I am looking for a plastic or vinyl solution which in my opinion would last longer.

Thanks,

Rory

Steel roofing panels.

Reactions: ScotO
Yeah steel or fiberglass panels. Fiberglass if you want to let light in.

This is something i was looking for. Want it to look nice yet be functional. Just hope it doesn't break the bank!!!

You are welcome. Just be aware that I did not want to endorse that product. I was looking at solutions like that but have not yet used one. Thus, I cannot tell you how well it actually works. You can also search online for "fiberglass" and "under deck" to find some tips and tricks to build something like that yourself. Will probably be quite a bit cheaper.

I helped my BIL put of roofing panels on his double decker deck. We actually installed them upside down from what it would be on a roof....we were worried that it might leak since the ridges turn into troughs this way, so we put a bead of clear silicon in each of the seams before fastening. This was probably overkill, but cheap insurance.

With the F channel you are probably in the neighborhood of $85 per square (100 sq ft).

You are welcome. Just be aware that I did not want to endorse that product. I was looking at solutions like that but have not yet used one. Thus, I cannot tell you how well it actually works. You can also search online for "fiberglass" and "under deck" to find some tips and tricks to build something like that yourself. Will probably be quite a bit cheaper.

I know you aren't endorsing it! HAHHAHA...thanks for the search. I have seen a product like that before and it is very nice looking. I don't want to cheap out on this project because it is in an area outside that we use often.

I helped my BIL put of roofing panels on his double decker deck. We actually installed them upside down from what it would be on a roof....we were worried that it might leak since the ridges turn into troughs this way, so we put a bead of clear silicon in each of the seams before fastening. This was probably overkill, but cheap insurance.

With the F channel you are probably in the neighborhood of $85 per square (100 sq ft).

You have a link for the panels you are referring to? Everything i see would not fit very well on the beams due to the ridges and not enough flat area to screw them up.

These were just pro-rib exposed fastener roofing panels from Menards. Barn roofing, basically. They were run perpendicular to the joists of the upper deck with spacers added to allow water to flow thru.

Metal roofing (or panels) run with a slight slope towards the edge of the deck will work well for this, and are relatively inexpensive. You may have to fasten gradual boards along the run to the underside of the deck to accommodate a slope. Use stainless steel TEK screws with the stainless/rubber sealing gasket washers on them to keep drips at bay.

1/2" fiberboard and fully adhered rubber roofing(EPDM) would work well also.

Fully adhering EPDM boggles my inexperienced mind.

Reactions: ScotO
Reactions: semipro
Fully adhering EPDM boggles my inexperienced mind.
It is not that hard or technical BB.
Think contact cement. A 9" paint roller, dip in 5 gallon can of basically contact cement, roll fairly thin and evenly on the top of the fiberboard or Iso insulation, then do the same for the rubber which is folded in 1/2 over itself exposing 1/2 of its underside, allow to dry to a tacky touch, get a little air under the rubber, and roll it back over onto the insulation. broom with a soft bristle broom. Do same for other 1/2.
A little more to it that that. but that is the gist of it.
Most important part is making sure it is set up in the proper position you want it at, and not to let is shift at all while gluing or rolling. And not to create bubbles while rolling.

Much easier to just install the EPDM over the top of the decking with some insulation installed over the deck, than pulling the boards and running between the joists.
If that gutter backs up, or freezes, there will be some issues.

I used the fiberglass. I built the roof as a panel then up it went. Make sure you ave a slop and a way to reach under for some occasional wash down to the dust,leaves etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.