Decomp button when starting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Do you use your decomp button

• I use it on occasion

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CrawfordCentury

Jul 1, 2009
The foothills
How many here use their decompression buttons when starting your saws?

Personally, I do not. I reckon if I can't get 'er to pop, I'm probably too fatigued to be running the saw safely anyhow.

The MS361 pulls over soooo much smoother when using the decomp. I find no reason not to use it. Until I forget.....then I about yank the dang thing over my head.

I have a Stihl MS460 and I always use it. Even if I can pull the rope without it, it puts more stress on the starting rope mechanism and likely reduces it's life. Just my view, YMMV.

my 460 will blow your elbow out if you dont, the 361 is just a habbit so yes I check and use the decompression on every pull.

Jags said:
The MS361 pulls over soooo much smoother when using the decomp. I find no reason not to use it. Until I forget.....then I about yank the dang thing over my head.

+1
Also less chance of spilling your beer.

Monkey Wrench said:
Jags said:

+1
Also less chance of spilling your beer.

Have you been watching me again?

CrawfordCentury said:
How many here use their decompression buttons when starting your saws?

Whats that ?! ;-)

I never did until I got my 361 and I still don't need to but now I use it all the time, even on my 026 - why on earth wouldn't I? Is there some reason I should use more energy to start the saw when less will do? Once I learned it was easier to do it with the compression release, well, its just like when you learn about peeing up hill - nobody has to tell you twice.

When it is cold starting I always do. After it is warmed up know. It is hard to pull without and would probably break the pull mechanism. I have a 390.

I've never used it on my 361 because it pulls over easy enough, but now I might try it.

S

I always use it.

Might as well, I paid for it.

I forgot to use it a couple of times and it makes quite a difference without!

Hey, its there, it makes it easier on the saw and you, and regular use keeps potential carbon from fouling the thing so it dont work at all. I think thats why they say use it or dont use it, but pick one and stick with it.

Sure do. I'd like to see somebody try to start my ProMac 850 without it. She's a cold blooded b!#(^. I couldn't imagine trying to get her to pop without.

I use it when the saw is cold. When it is warmed up, no.

Aside from easier starting, there is a reason for the decomp button. To avoid damage to the internal parts of the engine.
May never happen, but if your saw is under warranty, and damaged cause ya ain't using the decomp, might just find warranty void.

I use it on my Dolmar, the pull-on doesn't have one... With the button pushed, the Dolmar is an easier pull than the Pull-on, without it, you just about break your arm... What I hate is when doing the cold start drill and I miss the first "burp" and the button pops out w/o me noticing it - that next pull when the saw follows the rope is quite an attention getter...

Gooserider

Gooserider said:
I use it on my Dolmar, the pull-on doesn't have one... With the button pushed, the Dolmar is an easier pull than the Pull-on, without it, you just about break your arm... What I hate is when doing the cold start drill and I miss the first "burp" and the button pops out w/o me noticing it - that next pull when the saw follows the rope is quite an attention getter...

Gooserider

Good way to lose an arm part..... Did that once will never do it again, knock on wood.

I'm rebuilding a 064 flat top no button..

None of my saws have one but I think the 64 sure could have used one. I am going to install a ElastoStart and hope that helps...

Sorry I couldn't vote...

smokinjay said:
my 460 will blow your elbow out if you dont, the 361 is just a habbit so yes I check and use the decompression on every pull.
+1 on the blown elbow. You wont even turn over my 394 on cold days unless you use the dc button

Gooserider said:
- that next pull when the saw follows the rope is quite an attention getter...
I hold the rope and throw the saw down away from me so the saw doesn't follow the rope. That said, my saw has no decomp button, so my arm may follow the rope.

LLigetfa said:
Gooserider said:
- that next pull when the saw follows the rope is quite an attention getter...
I hold the rope and throw the saw down away from me so the saw doesn't follow the rope. That said, my saw has no decomp button, so my arm may follow the rope.

lol thats what it does and now, I cold start mine on the ground after its warm you can ge by with that but still make sure the decomp is pressed.

Gooserider said:

Gooserider

+1 Really good way to tear up your shoulder, too!

i use the dc on my 460- very hard start otherwise. My ICS saw will not start without DC, its 85 cc, what saw does that compare to. Looks like a jonsered, but not quite. I still haven'tfigured out where to put the oil ;) good news is the chain isn't sharp!!

Status
Not open for further replies.