Decorative curved facade fence - on the cheap

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

webbie

Seasoned Moderator
Nov 17, 2005
Western Mass.
Webwidow wanted a fence on the side of the house - a detail that will hide the air conditioner, gas meter and also enhance the style of the front gardens. I decided to do it on the cheap, so used:

Pressure treated 4x4 - I made the little tops by cutting into them with a circular saw - they are set approx 3 ft deep with some dirt and some concrete around bases.
2x4's (kiln-dried) as cross members - notched into the 4x4 for strength
2x4's (kiln dried) ripped in 1/2 the long way with a point put on them using cheapo table saw
All mating surfaces were primed prior to assembly - it will all be painted in place (soon).

Total material cost less than $100.

Two details -
notice the use of a bent thin piece of wood to figure out arch
bottom of fence follows the slope of the ground for a custom look.

I think it will look great once painted and also webwidow intends to have plants poking through it.

Attachments

• fence2.jpg
    fence2.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 600
  • fence1.jpg
    fence1.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 594
Status
Not open for further replies.