Decorative hearth idea

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GeneralBill

Sep 30, 2009
Western OR
Now that the 7' by 11' "false" 45 degee wall behind my old stove is gone, I'm considering another combustible 45 degree wall. This one set back about two feet from the firebox.

As a kid I loved seeing the cross cut trees showing their growth rings. Now I have a number of dry fir logs from 6" to 5' in diameter. Wouldn't it be great to have a hearth wall showing numerous cross cuts?

It's a bit of a design problem though. The thinner the cut, the more brittle the outcome. Not to mention an upright cross cut is not structural! You'll notice most large displays have steel bands tightened around the log.

Has anyone seen such a thing?

Thanks,

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.