Deep freeze is Here!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinj

Minister of Fire
Aug 11, 2008
Anderson, Indiana
Hope your ready hi's low 20's low in the low teen's! Oh just to make it alittle more fun High Winds....

34 here right now and 25-30 mph winds. Makes all my work cutting splitting and stacking in advance paying off.

Monkey Wrench said:
34 here right now and 25-30 mph winds. Makes all my work cutting splitting and stacking in advance paying off.

I am just north of Indy so this should hit the east coast in about 12-24hrs 25-30 mph wind will be later on this Eve when it cools off a bit. Cord of 2 year old red oak in the the rack!

Yeah I'm reloading with 2 cherry and 2 red oak splits on each re-fill. If i didn't look out and see the trees swaying I would have thought just a Wonderfull Day In the Neighborhood. Thank God for oak.

Wind not bad there but sure feels cold. But come January, we'll look back on this and think it was relatively warm....

smokinjay said:
Hope your ready hi's low 20's low in the low teen's! Oh just to make it alittle more fun High Winds....
Forecast for my neck of the woods:
Tonight: Scattered flurries. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 1. Wind chill values as low as -13. Northwest wind around 10 mph.

Monday: Partly sunny, with a high near 15. Wind chill values as low as -15. Northwest wind between 9 and 13 mph.

Monday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around -3. Wind chill values as low as -18. Northwest wind around 10 mph.

Tuesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 17. Wind chill values as low as -20. West wind between 9 and 11 mph.

Tuesday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around -1. Northwest wind between 6 and 9 mph.

quads said:
smokinjay said:
Tonight: Scattered flurries. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 1. Wind chill values as low as -13. Northwest wind around 10 mph.

Monday: Partly sunny, with a high near 15. Wind chill values as low as -15. Northwest wind between 9 and 13 mph.

Monday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around -3. Wind chill values as low as -18. Northwest wind around 10 mph.

Tuesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 17. Wind chill values as low as -20. West wind between 9 and 11 mph.

Tuesday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around -1. Northwest wind between 6 and 9 mph.

The winds is what kick your @ss here...20mph guesting to 28 right now temp 22

Backwoods Savage said:
Wind not bad there but sure feels cold. But come January, we'll look back on this and think it was relatively warm....

Only deference here is its just a 3 day blast Jan. 21 days at-least.

quads said:
smokinjay said:

Is that still cutting weather for ya Quads? I think I am waiting a bit and not as cold here, low 20's.

smokinjay said:

High winds always suck in the winter but this is why we bust our ass bucking,splitting and stacking wood. Last high winds, we lost power for five hours but the house stayed warm.

zap

Quads,

Thanks for for that forecast - we are usually just a day behind your weather. :(

I'm still burning silver maple - wanted to save the good stuff for 'winter'.

Is this winter? ;)

It is 16°F here now.

Here is the graph from my weather station for outside temps. here...last 24 hrs. Just keeps going down :ahhh:

Attachments

• vws742.jpg
    vws742.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 509
tfdchief said:
Here is the graph from my weather station for outside temps. here...last 24 hrs. Just keeps going down :ahhh:

That's neat! I think Quads has/did have something similiar(?).

I'd like to see something like with outside/inside/basement temps that I could monitor.

Shari said:
tfdchief said:

That's neat! I think Quads has/did have something similiar(?).

I'd like to see something like with outside/inside/basement temps that I could monitor.
Shari, If you click on my weather page link at the bottom of my signature it will take you to my webpage for my weather station. Click on the "Graphs and Gauges" link on the left had side and you can see other things I monitor, including inside temperature (I actually monitor quite a few other stats but only post some in graph form. My webpage has info on down the page for the weather station and software I use. It really isn't expensive anymore. If you are interested check it out and let me know if you need any help. I look at my house temperature (updated every 15 minutes) from work...lets me know how the old wood stove is doing. I know, I am a freak :snake:

Sorry, I didn't mean to high jack the thread. To stick to the subject, I monitor weather constantly (pretty obvious) and use it to know when to haul in more wood and what to put on the stove. I am breaking out the oak, hickory and hedge for this run of weather. Supposed to go single digits here in IL this week.....BURRRRRR :exclaim:

Wow we have some very cool folks here, the first really cold is supposed to hit here next Sunday. high 16* low 5*

tfdchief said:
Shari, If you click on my weather page link at the bottom of my signature it will take you to my webpage for my weather station. Click on the "Graphs and Gauges" link on the left had side and you can see other things I monitor, including inside temperature (I actually monitor quite a few other stats but only post some in graph form. My webpage has info on down the page for the weather station and software I use. It really isn't expensive anymore. If you are interested check it out and let me know if you need any help. I look at my house temperature (updated every 15 minutes) from work...lets me know how the old wood stove is doing. I know, I am a freak :snake:

Chief, Your graphs and gauges page is neat - from your indoor temp, it looks like your stove's output drifts off at around 3 am and then you must of done a reload at 7:00 am or so. cool

On the subject of the thread, we can't compete with the upper midwest and points north, but in the Mid-Atlantic, we are definitely going to see cold temps overnight for the next two weeks, low 20s to upper teens. The NOAA 6-10 and 8-14 maps have us about as dark blue (below normal temps) as it comes. Certainly could get colder weather in Jan/Feb - but this will be fairly cold for us in early Dec. Gonna be move some wood through the stove over the next couple weeks.

Chief, Your graphs and gauges page is neat - from your indoor temp, it looks like your stove’s output drifts off at around 3 am and then you must of done a reload at 7:00 am or so. cool
GE, you got it exactly right. I often check it from work and know whether I need a reload. I work close and can go home to do that if need be. I also monitor my crawl space temp to make sure it stays above freezing since the furnace seldom runs and the supply ducts in the crawl space would normally heat that space....but with the wood stove, when the coldest weather hits sometimes I have to run the fan on my furnace to circulate some heat down there.

16 degrees here and let the fire burn way down. Its down to 73 in the house... I still have the blower on low...

Glad you guys finally get to burn some of your wood.
I think it's a warmer heat, it that makes sense.
Has been cold here for a while & the stove has been running 24/7 for 2 months here.
You are right about the wind, on those days I'm loading the stove full twice per day.
Warmed up some from last week of winds, Now it's around zero a night & in the teens in the short days & no wind for a few days.
We have another "high pressure" area building, so the next big low to move through will send some more cold weather your way.

2°F right now. (midnight)

7 degree's right now 13 mph winds.

Its 8...outside here in northern Illinois. 71 inside, just loaded the furnace, should be nice a toasty indoors today. Stay warm everyone!

Hahahahahha. That is a slight breeze compared to the winds we get here!

smokinjay said:

NATE379 said:
Hahahahahha. That is a slight breeze compared to the winds we get here!

smokinjay said:

That Bites!

Status
Not open for further replies.