Deere x500 or rancher 420?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I went through this same thing this year. I'd love to have a 4x4 ATV, for both wood hauling and snow removal, as well as some trail riding. But I'd be spending at the least a few grand for a used ATV in good condition. On the flip side, those older garden tractors can be picked up pretty cheap, and they are true work horses, nothing like the newer mowers that with stamped frames and aluminum gear boxes. So I found an early 80's model Wheel Horse last week for around $400, and picked up a snow plow and wheel weights off craigslist 2 nights ago for $55. I also found a front mount snow blower for $250, but decided against it. I've got a set of tire chains coming this week, so for less than $600 I've got a workhorse for towing and snow removal that should do OK in moderate off-road terrain. I've got a ztr to mow with, but it's also piece of mind knowing I've got a back-up mower now too if the zero turn ever breaks down.

Maybe in a couple years I'll splurge for an ATV, but at this point it'll be purely for fun when I don't feel like riding my dirt bike.

Those small 4x4 tractors even when used are big money
Not necessarily. I paid $8k for this 4x4 diesel 25 hp with front-end loader and 72" mower. It has 3-point hitch (cat.1) and dual live PTO's. If you're looking to spend $7k on an x500 (cute, but not nearly as useful), I'd scrounge up another $1k and buy something more capable.

photo 20.JPG photo 23.JPG ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367852086.045348.jpg

Obvious down side: no warranty. I prefer working on my own equipment, so no issue, here.

I think I paid $2250 for the 64" blower, new from dealer in 2012, but that was a luxury purchase. I could easily do my 450 foot driveway with the front-end loader. You can pick up the same blower used for $800 - $1200, this time of year.

Last edited:
Nice! Been looking used for awhile . Seems people want damn near retail for something with 1000+ hours on em. I like the kubota bx1870/2370 and deere 1 series but again the prices I find I would happily pay an extra 500-1000$ for brand new. Any idea how these compacts do in some soft mud/woods terrain ? Wish I could find a Steiner 4x4 with a fel. Used those for years landscaping those things were tough as nails!

The Sub compact lines of tractors might be a better all around choice. 4x4 , all oil burners, most are capable of belly mowers and/or have 540 rear pto with 3 point category. 0 or 1, loader option for the front cab options as well.3 point and loader are hydro powered. Most will accept a snow blower up front as well as a plow overall higher ground clearance , geared or hydo trannys far exceeding the upper lawn mower class. ag or turf tires price wise about the same as a decent sized ATV but capable of so much more. And resale value is very good on the name brands such as JD, Kubota, MF, NH.

I started shopping sub -compacts myself, but soon realized I'd be paying more for less, going that route. Many compacts on the market, cheaper, and far more capable than a sub-compact. Mine does great in mud and deep snow, in 4wd, even with turf tires. I've only had to resort to tire chains once, and then it's flat-out unstoppable.

Lots of used cat.1 implements to be had, as well. Cat.0, not so much. Sub-compacts are rich boy toys, not practical for most wanting max capability on minimum budget.

Last edited:
Reactions: TreePointer
Right but I gotta be practical as I'm only maintaining 2 acres and access to woods is roughly 10 acres of limited mobility. I feel a sub compact would still do a great job as primarily a mower/driveway maintenance machine but decisions decisions. Can't even purchase until after the wedding so I have some time :)

There are some pretty small compacts, that are still 4wd and cat.1. My 855 is a pretty small machine, but still handles 1000 lb. cat.1 implements with relative ease. More importantly, the front end loader has usable capacity, unlike any sub-compact I've seen. I'll be moving 50 yards of mulch with mine over the next 10 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.