Defect, overfire, installer issue???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

heffergm

Nov 24, 2009
South Shore, MA
So my week old VC Encore seems to be shedding paint. The more I rub, the more comes off. In VC's defense, the portions affected appear to be the areas where my installer accidentally smeared a bit of chimney sealant (black caulk-like stuff). The surface temp of the stove, measured almost exactly where most of the problem is, has never been above 600F.

I can't imagine I overfired it, so the likely culprit seems to be some reaction with the cement, but I figured I'd ask. I'm going to go see them tomorrow, because I don't really fancy painting a brand new stove!

Sounds like a reaction, meh...I'd try and not let it worry me as long as the stove worked to my expectations. The whole wood burning chic is full of compromises...you're a rebel now.

LOL. So I figured I probably should just say who cares, but this stuff pisses me off. That said, I learned a long time ago that in these situations I'm probably best off fixing it myself. $5 can of VC black paint here I come...

Sounds like the sealent affected the curing of the paint during break in. hey, why not have em fix it. whats the worst that can happen? they pull it out to repaint it on the coldest day of the year and dont re-install it for a week or too.

Thank your lucky stars it isn't an enameled stove!

I would ask them for a free can of paint and a small credit back, and you will touch it up yourself.

I would wait to spring / summer and then take care of it yourself.

jtp10181 said:
I would ask them for a free can of paint and a small credit back, and you will touch it up yourself.

I would wait to spring / summer and then take care of it yourself.

Not a bad idea. Might try that route...

Status
Not open for further replies.