Defective Oval to round connector on Defiant 1945

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mandoo

Jan 8, 2008
Mid-Ohio
Thought I'd post this so others doing a search will find it and hopefully help them out.

Thanks for all the great info this forum has to offer I have been able to diagnose and resolve an issue I've had with my new stove. My dealer was no help but Vermont Castings (CFM) was! I had a horrible fitting oval to round starter pipe on my stove the air leaks were noisy even when the stove was shutdown you could here it when the wind was blowing. I was running griddle temps around 650 to 750 during secondary burn with a very low stack temp do to this leak (secondary air all the way off). I could watch the fire change by holding my welding glove over the leak. My dealer said it was no big deal and stuffed some gasket material in the gap (most was sucked into the stove). Called up VC and explained the situation they told me yes they had some bad fitting adapters and are sending a new one direct since they know I'm not happy with the dealer.

Hope this may help anyone else with the same set up that has had some irritating noise and burn issues. BTW I've attached a couple of picts of the fix the dealer thought was acceptable on our brand new stove, notice the gap was so large he could not get a screw in on the left side. My blood pressure is rising as I type this!!! One more thing to add the adapter has a couple of steel rods going front to back so no way to cut the pipe shorter at the crimp, plus there is a bunch of side to side and end play.

Attachments

• DSC00611 [800x600].JPG
    DSC00611 [800x600].JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 231
  • DSC00610 [800x600].JPG
    DSC00610 [800x600].JPG
    21.1 KB · Views: 244
  • DSC00602 [800x600].JPG
    DSC00602 [800x600].JPG
    17.5 KB · Views: 239
Yes, that's a sloppy fit. Sorry that the dealer is a loser. But it's good to hear that VC stepped up to the plate with a rapid replacement part.

Can you post a picture of the whole stove? It looks like a really nice one.

BeGreen said:
Yes, that's a sloppy fit. Sorry that the dealer is a loser. But it's good to hear that VC stepped up to the plate with a rapid replacement part.

Can you post a picture of the whole stove? It looks like a really nice one.

I will get a better shot with it running after the new adapter comes in, unless it gets too cold before it arrives (lol)

Attachments

• DSC00617 [800x600].JPG
    DSC00617 [800x600].JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 231
Status
Not open for further replies.