Defiance Master choice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crane

Oct 5, 2010
wi
I'm looking at purchasing one of these things that is in great condition and fairly cheap. I'm wondering if this is a decent stove or is it junk. Can I get parts for it if something breaks blowers, glass, etc.. Can I just put it in my fireplace and have it work decent. I'm not looking for something extremely efficient just something that will help put the heat back in the house. I've never had an insert before(only wood burners) what should I be aware of.
Thanks for any help you can give.
Nate

Crane,
The stoves and inserts were very advanced for the time they were made. They have a secondary burn! ;-)

Built like a tank.... Far from junk.
In the almost 30 years that we have had the stove nothing has needed repair except the front glass on the door.
I had a tenant break the glass on the front door and it cost him $15 to replace it in 2004.

Honestly I don't know much about the blower because it still works just fine. Its thermistatically controlled which is nice.
However its a simple blower and Ill bet you could find a replacement if needed.

The company itself is been out of business for years. They were made in the Yooper (U.P.) and seems they were popular in Wisconsin,Michigan, and New York State.

My Grandparents purchased it in November 1981 and is still in use today. Once you get it up to temperature it produces a light show of secondary burn in the top glass and no visible smoke from the chimney.

You can get 24" logs in the firebox.

I would definitely suggest a stainless steel liner for a proper draft.

But it produces a tremendous amount of heat and would not hesitate to use it. In fact If I ever sell the house The 2 things that will go with me are the stove and the stained glass window.

Here is a link to the my manual
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/12404/P15/

Hope this is helpful?
Cheers Hiram

index.php

http://i43.tinypic.com/6hhqb8.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/2wggg1w.jpg

Thanks,

Do you know if you need a 32" opening I only have a 30" that angles back to 20" at the rear. The person I'm buying from knows nothing about the insert and was little help measuring it. This would save me a trip(1hr drive oneway) looking at.

crane said:
Thanks,

Do you know if you need a 32" opening I only have a 30" that angles back to 20" at the rear. The person I'm buying from knows nothing about the insert and was little help measuring it. This would save me a trip(1hr drive oneway) looking at.

Hey Bud Everything is in the manual!!!!!!!!!!! ;-)

2m42fwp.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.