Defiance Stove Chimney Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skypilot52

Mar 3, 2016
Wisconsin
I have used a Defiance Parlor Stove for many years in heating my home. The clay lining in my chimney has cracked and a small part has fallen down, I do not know from what part of the chimney. The stove has an 8 inch stovepipe. The clay liner in the chimney is 8 x 12 inch. I am asking if I can use a 6 inch chimney liner or what other suggestions for lining my chimney.

I have used a Defiance Parlor Stove for many years in heating my home. The clay lining in my chimney has cracked and a small part has fallen down, I do not know from what part of the chimney. The stove has an 8 inch stovepipe. The clay liner in the chimney is 8 x 12 inch. I am asking if I can use a 6 inch chimney liner or what other suggestions for lining my chimney.
If i was doing a liner for that stove i would remove the old clay and run an insulated ovalized 8" liner. It will have a little less volume than a round 8" but those stoves can run on a little pit smaller chimneys with no problems. I would not go all the way down to 6" though.

Assuming you mean a VC Defiant Parlor Stove, it was certified to run on 6" pipe, you just can't run it like a fireplace (damper open, Doors open) in that set up. But with sufficient draft (i.e. chimney height) it should still work.

Status
Not open for further replies.