Defiant damper won't close

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

schoonergirl

Dec 22, 2008
I just bought a older side loading defiant in good shape. I have used it for the past 2 months with no problems. Now when burning above 300 degrees the damper will not close, any ideas?

Welcome,
I'm not familar with your stove but it sounds like something is warped on the damper mechanism? Can you get at this damper and inspect the parts? You may need a new part or something may have loosened up?

Yah, sounds like it may have been overfired and the fireback warped ? They're usually not too expensive. Mine is $50.
I've got a local dealer that has many in stock. If it turns out that you need one, and have trouble finding one, I can check if he has one for your stove.
Is this a Cat. or Non-Cat. Defiant ? Is there a model # on the back plate ?

Sounds like it is just being defiant.

No guarantee this is your problem, but some years ago a friend with an original Defiant had a similar issue. It was possible to open and close the damper, but it required a lot of force and the damper seemed to be binding somewhere. When we took the stove pipe off we discovered that the removable cast iron plate that allows for cleaning between the fireback and rear casting had somehow become dislodged and was sticking up in an unnatural position. After putting it back in the correct way, the damper problem disappeared completely.
The fact that your damper won't move at all and that the problem occurs only above 300 degrees, I have no answer for. I've never understood how that cast part could have become misaligned since it is very difficult to remove and replace. I'd certainly check, though, because this would be a far easier fix than replacing any parts. If there's an experienced Defiant dealer near you, I'd certainly check to see what they think as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.