Defiant Enclore 2550 Problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GlennH

Dec 10, 2007
Central NJ
I have a Defiant Encore that is 11 yrs old and I have problems
The air flapper arm was sticky and last saturday I felt nothing...the lever did not open the flap
I took the inside left wall out and thew cable was broken
I have never replaced any of the internals
I removed the back wall and
the top refractory fell in 2 pieces (broke in 2)
I beleive that secondary probe thing is all rusty
Trying to remove the rear plate to access the air door the screws are stripped
I don't know exactly how the cable ran
I tried to remove the bottom plate by removing 2 phillips screw but it looks like it is cemented in place
I am trying to find someone to rebuild the stove (quote me a price)
I am thinking that the price for all new parts & labor... I might just as well replace the stove
I was refered to local chimney sweep guys but in the past all they want to do is clean & vanish
I had one guy who told me that the stove should only be used during the day and never leave the house
with the stove lit..it was more for looks
I searched this forum and have read alot.
I need guidance

Thanks in advance

Well, I guess first question is whether the stove needs a complete rebuild.

It seems as if you need your draft controls checked and fixed...and maybe some refractory.

However, you didn't say whether your cat converter is good - have you replaced it over the years?

If you need a complete rebuild, parts and a new cat - yes, that is likely to cost you the price of a new (cheaper model) stove. My guess is somewhere from $500 to $800.

There is a guy here who recently posted in our classifieds (look there) who sells rebuilt stoves. Maybe he will offer you something for yours (he will rebuild) and then you can buy a discounted rebuilt from him?

If you decide to pick up a new stove, I'd be happy to take that one off your hands and give you some extra cash to put towards a new one, just FYI.

Status
Not open for further replies.