Q&A Defiant Encore back glowing red

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I have a Vermont Castings Defiant Encore. It is 3 years old. I keep the air adjustment set to minimum air intake, but even at this setting the thermometer on the top lid indicates about 600 degrees. The unit has a rear heat shield installed. Last night I noticed when the room lights were very low, I could see a red glow coming from the back of the stove and reflecting off the inside surface of the heat shield. I could see that the cast iron on the back of the stove was a dull red. I have not noticed this before. Does this indicate the stove is getting too hot, even though the top lid is running at 600 degrees?

Answer:

Yes, it does sound like it is running a little hot. Cast iron glows dull at about 900-950 degrees F.

The catalytic converter is located in the rear of the stove, and it may be the heat given off by this that is creating the glow.

You may have too much draft, which could cause the wood to burn with a forge effect. Talk to your dealer or the manufacturer about using either a turn or barometric damper to throttle down the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.