Defiant fibrous material behind fire box

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tconn308

Oct 7, 2011
S.E. PA
Hi everyone,
Im new at this but sure could use some help. I have a Vermont Castings Defiant 1610 about 5 years old. When I was cleaning behind the fire box, I noticed that there was a chamber behind it that was, as V.C. calls it a white fibrous material that I believe has something to do with the non-cat system. My problem is that I noticed a hole on top of the fiberous box about the size of a nickel. it was not centered but a perfect circle. I do not recall noticing this before. I would not have been concerned but, I use to work for a V.C. distributor and asked a friend if they had one. They did about the same age as mine, I looked in the flue and there was no hole. I emailed V.C., and of course no response. If it is no big deal, o.k., if it normal ok, if it should not be there I was going to patch it with a U.S. quarter coin and some 2000def. F gasket cement. I am not going to take that thing apart and replace the fiberous box for a little hole not to say it will problably cost a forture.
Any help would be apreciated.

Thanks,
Tim

Welcome Tim, sorry to hear this, but it is common with these stoves. It sounds like you are describing the refractory or the fountain assembly. It will need repair, probably replacement. And yes it is expensive. Some folks have patched them. Can you post a picture of the issue?

Thanks for the reply, I will send some pics as soon as I firgure out how to. I have sent twice but nothing shows up on the thread. You dont believe the repair I stated would work?

My wife just asked if I cleaned the chimney, and if I did is it possible the rod went through the top. BINGO! No need to send pics. Do you think the coin over the hole and the gasket cement (2000deg.F) will work?

That's good news. I was envisioning a much larger hole. Kudos to your wife for some good sleuthing.

If it is just a small hole then I would patch with refractory cement or better yet, castable refractory like Kastolite 26. I'm not sure the melting point of the coin, but that chamber can get quite hot at times, so it might not be a good fix. The only problem is that it is sold in big quantities. If you have a local kiln, pottery or ceramics supply house ask if they have something for this nature of patching.

Try this trick. Cut a small piece of index card to about twice the size of the hole. Then take a needle and thread, knot the end of the thread with a big knot. Now poke a hole in the center of the patcher card stock with the needle and pull the thread through to the knot. Bend the card patch so that it slips through the hole, while holding on to the thread. Then, as the patcher card opens up, pull it up against the hole. Secure the thread to a dowel across the pipe hole so that it is held in place. Now you have a backstop in the hole. Fill in the hole with a generous slather of the refractory cement flaring it out past the hole. Let it dry per instructions. Then snip the thread. The patcher card will burn up with the first fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.