Defiant flue configuration

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sturla Snorrison

Nov 12, 2014
VT
www.vtgoatmilksoap.com
I picked up a real nice Defiant today. Noticed while moving it that underneath side of the bottom of stove has 8-77 cast into it, but it also has 2-piece fireback, so not totally sure if its a Defiant I or Defiant IA. Anyway, I know the Defiant needs and 8" flue, which my interior chimney has. What I am wondering is, can I use 6" pipe into the 8" flue? The oval out of the top is real tiny, so would it be that big a deal to run 3 or 4 feet of 6" pipe into a chimney with an 8" flue, or is it a necessity to go right to 8" pipe out of the oval?

I believe the manual states that you can run 6" as long as you don't burn with the front doors open.

Reactions: Tech Guru
You can buy an adaptor that converts the oval outlet to an 8" pipe. Whether it will work with 6" is strictly dependent on the draft in the chimney. If its marginal the stove may have a tough time starting.

There was a factory recall on one piece fireback units and many of the older stoves (like mine) were converted to a two piece fire back.

Defiant I = one piece fireback & baffle (right)
Defiant IA = two piece fireback & one piece baffle
Defiant IAI = two piece fireback & baffle
Defiant II = Curved upper fireback and wrap around front (on all Defiant I's side wrap around the front)
Defiant III = Top Loading (i.e. hinged griddle)

Status
Not open for further replies.