Define Buck Please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I get that I'm a newbie and found this wonderful site. I figured out "CSS" as cut, split, stack . . . but what is buck? There are deer in my woods, but I KNOW you don't mean that! :confused: Rounds are the lengths of tree trunk that are cut to 16" (or whatever length) I presume. So is "bucking" cutting the whole tree into rounds? I didn't find this in the vocabulary list in the forum and would appreciate your explanation when you're done laughing at the question!

Reactions: Hills Hoard
You cut, split and stack it for a couple of years. Then you toss it into a Buck stove...you "Buck" it. ==c

Actually, you're right; You buck (cut) a log to stove lengths.

Reactions: blazincajun
I don't know how the term originated - unless it came from the X shaped wooden frames used to hold the log in place while it was being cut into rounds.
People still call $10 bills "sawbucks" because they were once marked with the Roman numeral X

Reactions: Jon1270
... unless it came from the X shaped wooden frames used to hold the log in place while it was being cut into rounds.
I think you nailed it.

Buck = Down a tree, take the limbs off and cut into rounds...most folks cut rounds into 16" lengths but some of us have slightly larger stoves....my rounds are 18"

Go to rodeo. Horse lets you ride him for a while. Horse thinks that it will buck you off. You become sore and dirty. What the BUCK?

Jargon that I often use when processing wood:

felling - cutting a tree to get it on the ground for further processing. Some will also call this falling or dropping.
stumping - creating a flat stump at the desired height for appearance, safety, or further processing (burning out, grinding)
limbing - cutting off the limbs/branches off the tree
bucking - cutting the trunk or limbs into useful lengths (firewood, for the lumber mill, fence posts, etc.)
splitting - not just for firewood. Can be for fence rails, furniture, etc.
noodling - making splits with a chainsaw. Also produces long wood chips (noodles).
stacking - the least fun part of firewood production, lol.

Regarding "c/s/s," I lump felling, limbing, and bucking into the "c" for "cut."

Well, I'm not Funk & Wagnalls, but that's the way I use the terms. As always, I reserve the right to be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.