Define Burn Time

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Danno77 said:
Loco Gringo said:
Todd said:
From the time I reload to the time I have enough coals for another load to take off without kindling. .
There it is. Burn time is just that. Burning can be considered flames burning or coals burning. The OP stated "burn" time, not heat time right? A thicker metal construction can and will retain radiant heat longer but that doesnt mean the fire is still burning.
That's not a great definition, because I've been able to rake away some ash and find some glowing coals about 24 hours after my last loading, throw some dry wood on it and 15 minutes later there's a fire a roarin'.
Thats my opinion, not a definition. I would say yours was in fact still burning. But I wouldnt expect it to be in the brochure.

I haven't started burning yet so I will take a shot at what it will mean for me: The time it takes for me to light the fire, get it going good, get to bed + the time I have in bed until the wife kicks me and says she is cold.

Disclaimer: No persons were actually hurt in the writing of this post.

Loco Gringo said:
Danno77 said:
Loco Gringo said:
Todd said:
From the time I reload to the time I have enough coals for another load to take off without kindling. .
There it is. Burn time is just that. Burning can be considered flames burning or coals burning. The OP stated "burn" time, not heat time right? A thicker metal construction can and will retain radiant heat longer but that doesnt mean the fire is still burning.
That's not a great definition, because I've been able to rake away some ash and find some glowing coals about 24 hours after my last loading, throw some dry wood on it and 15 minutes later there's a fire a roarin'.
Thats my opinion, not a definition. I would say yours was in fact still burning. But I wouldnt expect it to be in the brochure.

In other words you are measuring on the basis of a 24/7 type burn. Starting from a cold stove will yield different results. I like this analogy best.... reload to reload with a hot stove.

mhrischuk said:
I like this analogy best.... reload to reload with a hot stove.

Replace "hot" with "hot enough to achieve desired house temperature" and you have my definition. This time of year, the stove is never hot when reloaded but there is still no lighting involved.

Yes exactly what every one said here is the burn time for me. Never enough especially 4AM the outside temp is single digits, the house temp is 60 and you have no coals left to relight from. This is how you will learn what burn time is and you won't forget it.

Todd said:
From the time I reload to the time I have enough coals for another load to take off without kindling.

Bingo. That's the most useful definition.

I realize there are a number of factors that affect burn times but one thing I haven't seen mentioned in a while is how well insulated the environment the stove is in. Same exact stove burning same exact wood may still exibit different burn times in different houses?

wkpoor said:
I realize there are a number of factors that affect burn times but one thing I haven't seen mentioned in a while is how well insulated the environment the stove is in. Same exact stove burning same exact wood may still exibit different burn times in different houses?

Yep, every time I get another section of the house sealed up, my burn times increase and I go through less wood. Maybe the stove is just getting better with age :lol:

ansehnlich1 said:
burn time = in winter, that amount of time from when you've loaded your stove up until you find yourself loading it again to keep your arse warm.

I think this one is more useful to me than just simply having enough coals to get another fire started. It can be pretty cool in the basement and still have enough coals to get a fire started.

Status
Not open for further replies.