1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

define "overfire"

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by cncpro, Sep 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cncpro

cncpro New Member

Loc:
    NE Connecticut, USA
    I see in my Quad CB1200 manual that if any external part of the stove turns red you are overfiring it... Holy CRAP ! :bug: I can't imagine how hot it would have to be to make the outside of the stove red...

Does anybody have a better guideline for what to shoot for as far as flame height or any other relevant criteria ?

For example... Is it OK if the flame is regularly in contact with the angled back/top area above/behind the burn pot ?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. imacman

imacman Guest

Sounds pretty high to me, but if you're running it on High all the time, maybe......

Most pics and videos I've seen of pellet flames seem to be about 1/2 way between burn pot and top of firebox (heat exchange tube area).

I had an overfire once in my wood stove.....the flue outlet on top of the stove where it connected to the stovepipe was glowing red....scared the %$#@ out of me.
  3. slls

slls Minister of Fire

Loc:
    central maine Lat 45
    My CB1200 manual states 4-6 inches on high. 4 in would be as high as half way up the pellet chute, 6 inches would be hitting the angle plate.
  4. slls

slls Minister of Fire

Loc:
    central maine Lat 45
    I just looked at my Quadra DVD, shows too small fire and too large, really good video of fire.
  5. 2c3d

2c3d New Member

Loc:
    n/w N.J.
    add only enough pellets so you can start stove but still be able to adjust feed rod......with blower motor on high,fire stove....make 1/8 in. adjustments to feed rod until you achieve an active flame that hovers 4 in. above firepot....flame should resemble a blowtorch....run at this setting for 5- 15 min....if it stays constant, your good to go.....pellets vary,buy in bulk the ones you like....less adjustments....
  6. gw2kpro

gw2kpro New Member

Loc:
    Central Maine
    Your stove should shut itself down long before any part of it would ever turn red.
  7. Shane

Shane Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Casper Wyoming
    Since pellets are metered into the stove at a specific rate it would take a fairly big failure to overfire a pellet stove. Like Liter said the high limit switches should activate and cut fuel supply long before an overfire situation is reached in a pellet stove.
  8. smg64ct

smg64ct Member

Loc:
    Connecticut
    I used to worry about the same thing. I also have a CB 1200 freestanding. I went crazy adjusting it too and now I just run it on high. My stove runs in the 4 - 6" range and sometimes it goes a little higher for a brief period. I've never had any problems and like the others said it would shut down.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.