Definitive way to tell if wood is pressure treated?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Badfish740

Minister of Fire
Oct 3, 2007
I was at Lowes today and saw a pallet of dunnage sitting out front. I asked what they were doing with it and the manager told me I could have it for $5. The pieces average about 4' long and vary from 2.25" x 1.5" to 2.5" x 2.5". I separated out the clear straight pieces for an upcoming boat building project, and piled the rest outside for campfire wood. The trouble is, as I was sorting, every so often I would come across a piece with the telltale dark green tinge of pressure treatment. However, a lot of pressure treated wood these days isn't green. A lot of the stuff is stamped "HT" just like a heat treated pallet would be, but I'm worried that some of what I picked up might be pressure treated. Is there any good way to tell? If not, I'm sure I can find some use for it that doesn't involve burning it.

Sight is about the only way that I know of. Generally, if you cut into one (cross cut) you will see a penetration line where the treatment ends. Standard PT usually doesn't see full penetration of the wood, just the outer xx of the wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.