Delicate topic; spousal stove operation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobbin

Minister of Fire
Nov 2, 2008
So. Me.
I have a Woodstock Classic in my studio. I work with fabric. Wood smoke is NOT OK in my studio and there is no need of it. I have the operation of "my" stove down to a science now and it performs flawlessly with NO backpuffing incidents since mid-November when you guys got me thinking about the building dynamics in a different way. Thanks!

The husband loaded "my" stove late morning (to be helpful) but I discovered late this afternoon that he'd not used the damper controls correctly, leaving the dial control in the "open" position and closing the lower sliding control too far (he also failed to refill the woodbox!). We have an older Fireview in the house and both have the "old" style controls and he knows how to properly operate the stoves. It was just a sloppy oversight, but when fabric is involved smoke is NOT OK. I was furious when I smelled wood smoke in my studio. I politely and firmly pointed out his oversight and received the "hurt" routine. How would you guys handle this?

When I read the heading to this thread I never expected to read the word "husband". :bug:

That being said, forgiveness is love. Tell him in your kindest way to keep his mitts off or do it right. :zip:

Ya want we should some of us come over and beat some sense into him, Bobbin? :coolgrin: Rick the Knife

After loading the stove I would have said "Stove is loaded so work your air controls how you like them and I didn't refill the bin because I know you like picking out the splits".

How'd I do? :)

My wife "occasionally" loads the stove in a way that gets smoke odors into the house. With much less frequency, say once every week or so, I smoke a cigar in the same house.

Both events are easily corrected by turning on the ozone generator. Seriously!

I've had several over the past 15 years or so and they are great. We turn it on for other smells, such as cooking odors. I'd give some thought to purchasing one for your situation, where it "absolutely, positively, cannot smell in the studio".

hareball said:
After loading the stove I would have said "Stove is loaded so work your air controls how you like them and I didn't refill the bin because I know you like picking out the splits".

How'd I do? :)

You get in line behind Mr. Bobbin.

Bobbin said:
I have a Woodstock Classic in my studio. I work with fabric. Wood smoke is NOT OK in my studio and there is no need of it. I have the operation of "my" stove down to a science now and it performs flawlessly with NO backpuffing incidents since mid-November when you guys got me thinking about the building dynamics in a different way. Thanks!

The husband loaded "my" stove late morning (to be helpful) but I discovered late this afternoon that he'd not used the damper controls correctly, leaving the dial control in the "open" position and closing the lower sliding control too far (he also failed to refill the woodbox!). We have an older Fireview in the house and both have the "old" style controls and he knows how to properly operate the stoves. It was just a sloppy oversight, but when fabric is involved smoke is NOT OK. I was furious when I smelled wood smoke in my studio. I politely and firmly pointed out his oversight and received the "hurt" routine. How would you guys handle this?

Just put a sign up in front of the stove:
"You touch the stove, I remove your bleep"

I'd respect that.

I should say that there was no need for him to touch "my" stove today. I had it fully under control when I left at 7:30 AM and even told him so. I know it was a gesture of genuine thoughtfulness (and I thanked him for that) but I think my emphasis on the sloppiness of the oversight was all he heard, which may not be a bad thing in the big picture. Leaving the woodbox empty is like not replenishing toilet paper, you guys. Just something to think about... as is the fact that sometimes "girls" operate stoves with frightening attention to detail and downright teutonic precision, lol.

And Rick, my size 8 1/2 is more than capable of lifting any ass a couple of inches when it makes direct contact. ;) But thanks for the offer.

My ex-BF's stove had, as one would expect, different controls than mine. It's honestly hard to remember what's different if you don't do it much. I suggest you write up a "cheat sheet" of instructions and timing, on something like thin plywood, and keep it right by the wood. And/or, let him know that you'd rather it be cold in there than have to wash all that fabric. The ozone generator sounds like a good save if this situation may occur again.

As for leaving the wood box empty, well...it depends on whether the loading was a request by you or his own clever idea. Since that's your workspace, if he doesn't know for sure that you want the stove loaded right then, he'd better reload the wood box as part of the "being helpful."

EngineRep said:
My wife "occasionally" loads the stove in a way that gets smoke odors into the house. With much less frequency, say once every week or so, I smoke a cigar in the same house.

I've had several over the past 15 years or so and they are great. We turn it on for other smells, such as cooking odors. I'd give some thought to purchasing one for your situation, where it "absolutely, positively, cannot smell in the studio".

Interesting. The wife and I both smoke cigars. I think she's starting to like them more than I do, and I've been smoking them for almost 50 years. She sure doesn't like the way they make the house smell, though. Can you recommend a good brand.

BTW, she can have free access to the humidor, but she better not lay her grubby hands on my stove.

Battenkiller said:
EngineRep said:

Interesting. The wife and I both smoke cigars. I think she's starting to like them more than I do, and I've been smoking them for almost 50 years. She sure doesn't like the way they make the house smell, though. Can you recommend a good brand.

BTW, she can have free access to the humidor, but she better not lay her grubby hands on my stove.

By far, the best product I have used is from this place ---- http://www.air-zone.com/
and for the cynics, I have no affiliation whatsoever except having bought one of their products five or six years ago

Follow procedure and do it right the first time, smoke will cling to fabric just like a barn odor will...and I know most of you know what I'm talking about.

^Tell you the truth I'm rather fond of it myself...but Bobbin is a working girl and has requirements to be met.

goes well with 2 stroke and diesel

SolarAndWood said:
goes well with 2 stroke and diesel

I long for the day for the return of the 2 stroke motorcycle.

Label your fabrics 'wood scented' and charge a premium.

J,

1. Let that man load that stove any time his little heart desires
cool-smiley-019.gif
Do NOT let him out of your sight !!!
action-smiley-060.gif

2. Get some "space bags" https://www.spacebag.com/ and work with it
gaah.gif

3. Nice "dig"
happy0194.gif

Yours In Sistership,

Eileen

PS. Love Ricks Idea !!!

I suppose you will have to change your signature to read:
"3 cats, fool dog, good man... not good at loading the stove, but still, a good man none the less"

I just know that had this been a thread ragging about a wife doing this all hell would be breaking loose here right about now. :lol:

I have instructions posted next to the stove for my better half and she does a good job loading the stove every day at noon so I come home from work to a toasty house. :)

My wife operates the Lopi in the house at least as well or better than I do, in terms of an occasional whiff of smoke smell in the house during reload. She's a spinner/weaver/knitter/quilter. The whole lofted upstairs of our home is her 3-room "studio". I have no idea how much fabric, yarn, fleece & roving she has...maybe a cord. :bug:

If I'm gonna smoke something, which I occasionally do, I retire to my workshop across the driveway. There I'm free to sloppily reload my little CFM shop stove any way I want. %-P Rick

"Dear heart, it hurt my feelings this morning when you used my stove and let smoke into my fabrics, but it's OK. Here! I made you a checklist, so that in the future if you feel the need to use the stove you can be sure you will use it in a way that won't potentially endanger my fabrics and hurt my feelings."

Bobbin said:
I should say that there was no need for him to touch "my" stove today. I had it fully under control when I left at 7:30 AM and even told him so. I know it was a gesture of genuine thoughtfulness (and I thanked him for that) but I think my emphasis on the sloppiness of the oversight was all he heard, which may not be a bad thing in the big picture. Leaving the woodbox empty is like not replenishing toilet paper, you guys. Just something to think about... as is the fact that sometimes "girls" operate stoves with frightening attention to detail and downright teutonic precision, lol.

And Rick, my size 8 1/2 is more than capable of lifting any ass a couple of inches when it makes direct contact. ;) But thanks for the offer.

Bobbin,
My wife has no real interest in the stove, firewood, or the operation of it all. However, she likes to be warm, and will, very unoccasionally, make an attempt to reload or load the stove and get a fire going. This is bad. Reference the first sentence.
She seems to have the idea that you can put the wood in the stove any old way, then throw some paper in, light it, close the door and walk away. Again, this is bad.
She HAS gotten somewhat better, through need, when I'm gone for the day.
Having said all this, I tell her how nice and warm the house is when I get home. "Wow, nice fire." That kind of thing. A few minutes later, I adjust things a little, and go about my biznis. I will sometimes make a comment about how I load the stove, or adjust the air. She is quite often, smarter than I, but NOT when it comes to the stove. No interest to speak of.
I refill the toilet paper roll, sometimes when SHE has emptied it. Hmmm. I'm also the ONLY wood handler this house has, 99.9% of the time. From start to finish, so the broad comment re: us GUYS is undeserved.
Were you having a bad day, and he was making an attempt to cheer you up? My wife has lots of fabric, and it can be washed. "Your" stove would probably never see my face again, ever. I guess you wouldn't mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.