Delivered wood, learned my lesson I think

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

matrix961

Jan 13, 2017
Just had a new cord of wood delivered yesterday and it seems I ended up with worse wood than I had from the previous person I ordered from. I had gotten 2 loads back in November from a family which turned out to be in the 15-30% range, a good amount around 20%, but a majority at 25-30%. I thought I could do better but it seems I was wrong. I chose a landscaping company from dover pa and asked important questions like how long it was seasoned (2 years), when was it split (late summer/early fall), how was it stored (stacked outside). Another reason I felt comfortable is because he said he supplies some local restaurants with his firewood. What I actually got was wood that had been clearly sitting on the ground in piles most likely and maybe split more recently than was told. The wood will be good a year from now I'm guessing but it doesn't help me now tho. There was also a fair amount that had started to rot on the outside, inside was still good but left a nice mess in the driveway.

I just want to know if I'm measuring correctly or if I'm doing it wrong.

Quite a bit of the wood is this, red oak?
IMG_0011.JPG

To measure I did a new split and measured on the face of the new split.
IMG_0010.JPG

When I contacted the guy back he explained that the wood did get wet in the rain a few days ago and that I can't measure in the middle but have to measure from the ends and that since it got wet I wouldnt get an accurate reading? What???

Anyways he refuses to do anything about it and says give it a week and it will be good to burn after it dries from the rain. I'm thinking ok yeah sure... I'd be happy with a partial refund because I don't think it was worth 210 since the more seasoned wood I got from someone else was 120. Oh well, lesson learned I guess.

Luckily I do have a ton of wood brick and some of the other wood I had got thats still around 20% to burn.

I feel a bit pissed because I feel this guy is trying to blow smoke and to me sounds like an idiot, or maybe I'm not doing things right and I'm the idiot. I split all the large splits down and tested them all yesterday having 41% be the highest registered on other wood species mixed in. I stacked it all in a rack to start drying. I tested 2 pieces in the new i3100 and they just sizzled like crazy, no way I'm burning more at this point.

I think I'm going to be testing any new deliveries I get this winter from now on and refusing wood that doesn't test well. Is this going too far? Does anyone do this? Suggestions?

Oh yeah, more pics.

After moving most of it. Never had this with the other delivered wood from someone else.
IMG_0008.JPG

Stuff that just seemed too rotted and soggy so I set it aside. Some of that might still be good, I need to go through it again. You can see some of the pieces have the outside rot going on.
IMG_0009.JPG

That's a load of wet crap for sure. I have to ask you why are you putting yourself into this position? If you work on drying the wood yourself you get to shop around more for a better price and quality wood not to mention not being subjected to scammers advertising dry wood.

That's a load of wet crap for sure. I have to ask you why are you putting yourself into this position? If you work on drying the wood yourself you get to shop around more for a better price and quality wood not to mention not being subjected to scammers advertising dry wood.
Just moved into new house in July so Ill be looking for better deals in the spring to stack and dry for the next seasons. My plan is to start maintaining at least 2 seasons worth due to space. Trying to learn quickly here.

Just moved into new house in July so Ill be looking for better deals in the spring to stack and dry for the next seasons. My plan is to start maintaining at least 2 seasons worth due to space. Trying to learn quickly here.

I'm in the same boat as you, just moved into a new house and left my dry wood at my other one. Unfortunately you can't trust anyone selling wood. I too have thought of testing wood before accepting it but I think that's going too far, unless you were to go to there location, test it, and just say not interested. It could get pretty awkward if you were to turn them away at your own house after asking them to bring a load. I've just accepted the fact that this year is kind of a waste, I'm stock piling wood for next winter & the following, and I plan to never be in this predicament again.

It does look like red oak....picture of the end grain will help.....also if you can find out what restaurants are buying that wood for cooking I'd appreciate it, so I can avoid them if I'm ever in the area. Nothing better than some urine tasting, creosote covered smoked ribs from sopping wet red oak.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I'm in the same boat as you, just moved into a new house and left my dry wood at my other one. Unfortunately you can't trust anyone selling wood. I too have thought of testing wood before accepting it but I think that's going too far, unless you were to go to there location, test it, and just say not interested. It could get pretty awkward if you were to turn them away at your own house after asking them to bring a load. I've just accepted the fact that this year is kind of a waste, I'm stock piling wood for next winter & the following, and I plan to never be in this predicament again.
Yeah I hear ya. I don't plan on being in this situation again either. The wood I just got should be good for next season. I'll keep getting more but i'll be shopping around for good deals. I did find a place here that does kiln dried but at 260 for a half cord I'll just stick with my wood bricks and the little bit of seasoned wood that I do have. I'll just keep getting wood I can at good prices and stack it to season. One of those log splitters is starting to look really good now lol.

That's red oak. Takes a long time to season. Looking at 3 years cut split and stacked. Yeah its a long time. Worth it if you have the space but not worth it if you don't have room. You would want to go with wood that seasons in a year or two years maximum.

Reactions: Burnslodgepole
Here is a pic. This stuff was super easy to split. No effort at all.
IMG_0012.JPG

It does look like red oak....picture of the end grain will help.....also if you can find out what restaurants are buying that wood for cooking I'd appreciate it, so I can avoid them if I'm ever in the area. Nothing better than some urine tasting, creosote covered smoked ribs from sopping wet red oak.
They said they supply it to cracker barrel to burn in thier hearths. Dont know how true that is. Maybe if it is true I can post on CB's facebook and let them know what kind of company they are getting their wood from for that location.

Last edited:
Well open fireplace is one thing....I thought they were cooking with it

Yeah that sucks....good thing you said there is a good bit of red oak that will be great in a few years....but like others said, if you request or find some ash, silver or red maple now, even if it's green, you'd be good to go by next winter if you can stack in a single row with good sun and wind exposure.

I don't think testing it in front of them is going to far at all as long as you say that when you originally talk to them. When you say my stove will only burn under 20 percent and they say it's under that then test it. Now depending on temp outside you have to add a few percentage. The best is to bring a round inside for a night and test it. Obviously you won't be able to do that so I would just figure it's a little more. Your buying a product if they don't like you testing it they can gladly be on there way. And yes you test a fresh split face not the end

It is indeed red oak..rotten red oak...sorry that had to happen to you...do your self a favor and buy GREEN split wood in advance if you must buy. You can often negotiate a much better price if you buy it green.I sell a good bit of wood on the side and have several people who buy it green from me in advance. This eliminates getting rotten wood for one thing and puts you in control of your seasoning. Just a thought...

When he said it was split late summer early fall I would have said no thanks especially oak.

With respect to are you measuring it properly, most people put the prongs in perpendicular to the grain. So in your picture rotate the meter 90 degrees next time. You are not going to get a much different number anyways but that was the advice I got. The prongs only penetrate the wood a little bit, that's why you split it then take the reading. I've got the same meter too.

It is indeed red oak..rotten red oak...sorry that had to happen to you...do your self a favor and buy GREEN split wood in advance if you must buy. You can often negotiate a much better price if you buy it green.I sell a good bit of wood on the side and have several people who buy it green from me in advance. This eliminates getting rotten wood for one thing and puts you in control of your seasoning. Just a thought...

How can you tell that it is rotten? I'm new to this whole thing too and would like to learn what to avoid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How can you tell that it is rotten? I'm new to this whole thing too and would like to learn what to avoid.

Look at the OP'S original pictures, the 3rd picture is what you want to avoid.

Reactions: Tegbert
Look at the OP'S original pictures, the 3rd picture is what you want to avoid.

Yep, I had to spend a lot of time, basically the whole day trimming off the rotted outside the best I could with some of those pieces.

When he said it was split late summer early fall I would have said no thanks especially oak.
I'll remember that. I know it varies by species but with red oak should I look for it being split for at least a year then? Are there any that could be ok split for 6 months if its seasoned a year or so as a round? I know there must be many factors.

With respect to are you measuring it properly, most people put the prongs in perpendicular to the grain. So in your picture rotate the meter 90 degrees next time. You are not going to get a much different number anyways but that was the advice I got. The prongs only penetrate the wood a little bit, that's why you split it then take the reading. I've got the same meter too.
Thanks for the info, I'll try that when measuring.

Yeah I hear ya. I don't plan on being in this situation again either. The wood I just got should be good for next season. I'll keep getting more but i'll be shopping around for good deals. I did find a place here that does kiln dried but at 260 for a half cord I'll just stick with my wood bricks and the little bit of seasoned wood that I do have. I'll just keep getting wood I can at good prices and stack it to season. One of those log splitters is starting to look really good now lol.
Be very wary of kiln dried wood. Often kiln dried just means that it was brought up to a temp that is adequate to kill insects and that's all it means!

This. Buy green. You'll get a better price, and you know how long it will need to season.

I have cut wood my entire life...it appears to me that this wood came from a standing dead oak that was in a advanced state of decay. I am sure thats the reason it was taken down in the first place.The tell tale signs are the extensive rot in the limb pieces and the rotten debris in the drive way.Even the "good" piece is starting to become pithy. This wood was cut and piled outside and was rained on. It was sub standard from the get go. I always tell people not to buy wood from landscape companies or tree service companies because their business is to take out dead and dying and diseased trees and this is often sub standard soft woods to begin with...a side note about red oak...red oak has a thick bark to begin with...cut fresh you will see a approx. 1/2 in bark line...this is the first thing to rot...hence the 1/2 in rot line on this wood...that in itself is not a bad thing and is to be expected from a red oak that has been dead for some time...but the wood pictured here goes far beyond that.

Reactions: Tegbert
Not at all. Call them. Ask what they have. Agree to a price, but let them know you will dig into the middle, resplit 5-10 splits and measure MC. If it's not as discussed, see ya later!

This can be done without being a jerk on the phone. Say upfront you need dry wood for your stove and you've been burned by their competitors along with letting them know that if all they have is green wood, you'll need some of that in the spring.

I used to sell a decent amount of fire wood and would bring my moisture meter with me to show the customer before I hit the dump switch. Gave us both peace of mind knowing they were getting what they paid for, and that I was delivering what I said I would. Green wood I usually wouldn't.
So testing before you pay, or more importantly, before they dump, is not a problem at all. Lot of people get scammed buying wood.
Red oak is what you've got there, and in my opinion is easy to split most times. It does take a long time to dry, even split. If they are seasoning it log length for 2 years then splitting it and delivering, that won't be below 20% no question. Split and stacked 2 years would be under 20 easily.
Keep in mind also when buying, people have different definitions of wood.
Green
Seasoned
Dry.
There is a big difference between seasoned and dry, and not always a big difference between seasoned and green.

Also I think 210 for a cord of oak is a good price, but that would be what I would sell it for green.
Also check or replace the batteries on your meter to make sure it's reading correctly and calibrated. Low batteries or surface moisture can affect it.