Delivery Prices?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyranid

Nov 9, 2010
Annapolis, MD
I was curious what people are paying for delivery for pellets on here (aside from those who are transporting it themselves... :) )

Wood Floors Plus is charging $25 per ton.
Woodpellets.com has their $39 special right now.

I figured those prices are pretty good...

So, I called Ace Hardware. For two tons of Hamer's they want $95 for delivery. And thats only as long as the distance is less than 10 miles!

Heck, I just emailed a guy in Fredrick, MD (on the other side of the friggin state) and he wanted $80 for two tons of Hamer's. More reasonable than Ace, considering its probably an hour drive each way for this guy.

I'd like to get the Hamer's, but these delivery prices are killing me. They would be almost $300/ton by the time I get them...

My local stove dealer delivered mine for $20 first ton, then $5 per ton thereafter. But have to be local. I'm about 15 miles from him. On the verge of not being local according to him. Other places wanted anywhere from $30 up to $85. The $85 was for unlimited quantities (I assume what they can fit on their truck).
Flynfrfun

My local store delivered 3 tons, free delivery of Hammers. They put them near my garage door no problem. I once asked a delivery guy to move them further into the garage for me, guess he should have said no, it cost him a gutter replacement, I felt bad since he was only trying to do me a favor.

Mine brings a fork lift and pallet jack, put's in the back of the garage.

The local feed store charges $20 for the amout I get, be 4 or 6 tons, all the same. He puts it right were I want it in the garage. My drive is level. The guy from Jay off loads it by hand and stacks it right where I want it for FREE. In each case, I give them a good tip. It really means a whole lot not to have to handle them until I need them a few bags at a time. I wouldn't be able to move more than a ton without help. At the big box places, you can rent their truck and bring them all home for one fee, often not too bad if you are moving several tons. You'll need to have some help on the home end to off load.

I paid $77.00 to have 3 tons delivered but the driver also helped me restack the bags in my garage and then took the 3 empty pallets back with them.

Thanks for your comments (and the other thread link).

He wants $235 a ton for Hamer's. I emailed him back and asked him if I got 3 tons, would the delivery still be $80. I might just bite the bullet and get 'em. At least its a good price for the pellets... :) Its a fair price for the delivery considering how long a haul it is.... I70 is not the greatest drive in the world....

In my area most places will deliver for free if you buy 2 tons or more at a time. In 5 years I've yet to pay for delivery.

Sales tax is another issue. I live in Spokane, WA.....about 10 miles or so from Idaho. If I buy pellets in ID there is no tax.....In WA there is a 8.7% tax!

Well, the Balt/Wash area doesn't appear to be the greatest place for pellet shopping.

Ace is the only place that even has a selection of pellets, but their delivery charges are outrageous.

I could go to Lowes or HD and rent the truck, but I wasn't happy with the way the pellets burned.

Walmart doesn't carry pellets here. The guy at Costco didn't even know what a pellet stove was!

All the other sellers carry Lignetics at inflated prices (and the Lignetics I tried had WAY too much ash)

Woodfloors plus is the best game in town. The Greenways they sell are a decent pellet (with ALOT of fines) with reasonable shipping prices (comparitively)

I was going to buy a mix of Greenways and Hamers, but it may be easier just to get the three tons all at once.

Tyranid said:
Well, the Balt/Wash area doesn't appear to be the greatest place for pellet shopping.

Ace is the only place that even has a selection of pellets, but their delivery charges are outrageous.

I could go to Lowes or HD and rent the truck, but I wasn't happy with the way the pellets burned.

Walmart doesn't carry pellets here. The guy at Costco didn't even know what a pellet stove was!

All the other sellers carry Lignetics at inflated prices (and the Lignetics I tried had WAY too much ash)

Woodfloors plus is the best game in town. The Greenways they sell are a decent pellet (with ALOT of fines) with reasonable shipping prices (comparitively)

I was going to buy a mix of Greenways and Hamers, but it may be easier just to get the three tons all at once.

Have you sought out your local Stove Dealers? they usually have Pellets for their customers.

Yep, the dealer I bought my stove from has been buying the Greenways from WFP.

Another big dealer near here has some overpriced Lignetics. (Like $250/ton)

Doesn't seem like there is a big market around here.

I'll second the statement that the DC area is tough for pellet buying. Near me is southern states pellets and pennington. Of course, hearing of good pellets at ACE may have me heading out there to look. I can only haul 3000 lbs at a time though and wish I could get delivery.

I just paid $80 to have 4 tons delivered...and the $80 included having them put the pellets in the basement where I wanted them...easiest 4 tons I have ever bought!

quickrch - I've been checking Craigslist. There are quite a few people selling Hamers by the ton right now, but they are all in Fredrick. That's where I got the quote for $80 shipping.

Tyranid said:
quickrch - I've been checking Craigslist. There are quite a few people selling Hamers by the ton right now, but they are all in Fredrick. That's where I got the quote for $80 shipping.

Thanks, Frederick is only 20 miles from me. I'll search CL for the places selling them. I am getting my stove installed in about 2 weeks and want to test some before I buy a few tons. I wonder what they would charge to deliver to me.

Tyranid said:

Try a local farm or feed store like southern states. Being in Annapolis you should have farm store down south along Rte 2 and Rte 4 that sells pellets.

I love the Lignetics. Local amish store carries them for 199 ton, but I was in a hurry yesterday and picked up a ton from Ace in Bel Air for 209 after talking them down.
OMG, if I can tell you anything stay away from the Walmart pellets. Not saying they are all bad. But I had to run out Thanksgiving and pick some up in an emergency and even though I only bought 3 bags of Penningtons. I did not even burn a full bag. JUNK - IMO

I've checked a couple farm stores to the south. Lots of cordwood, but not much in pellets.

As far as the Lignetics, I've heard mixed things. I think it really depends on your stove. When my stove dropped the pellets in the burn pot, it looked like it 'splashed' a lot of half burned material out of the pot. I think it may be because the pellets are longer. In my stove, they produce at least twice as much ash as anything else I've burned. But like you said, other people have burned them and they work great.

I went ahead and ordered three tons of the Hamers. They are going to be delivered and put in my garage. I paid a little more, but they are the best I've tried so far in my stove.

My local store delivered 7 metric tons for free. Of course I only live 6 miles from the store.

Well, that seller from Fredrick I found on Craigslist (his ad says "Call Terry"), just delivered me 3 tons of Hamer's.

He brought somebody with him and we just stacked them all nice and neat in my garage.

I'm ready to burn!

Rooscooter said:
In my area most places will deliver for free if you buy 2 tons or more at a time. In 5 years I've yet to pay for delivery.

Sales tax is another issue. I live in Spokane, WA.....about 10 miles or so from Idaho. If I buy pellets in ID there is no tax.....In WA there is a 8.7% tax!
Gosh, who you buying from? Ziggy's charges me $25 per ton to deliver from the store here to my house, standard delivery charge. I'm in Moses Lake. (Bought 3 tons this September.)

20 bucks for 20 loaded miles for up to 3 ton per load. They unload and sit the pallets in the garage. I bought 2 ton and should have went with three.

Haubera said:
Rooscooter said:

Gosh, who you buying from? Ziggy's charges me $25 per ton to deliver from the store here to my house, standard delivery charge. I'm in Moses Lake. (Bought 3 tons this September.)

Last year Ziggy's delivered 3 tons free. This year it was Parr Lumber that delivered for free (2 ton minimum). A couple of years ago I got free delivery from Ziggy's as well.

Overall, this is the third year that I've used pellet stoves and I've yet to pay for delivery.

Status
Not open for further replies.