Dellpoint Europa 75 poor customer service

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bikesnrovers

Mar 9, 2013
I need to start off by saying for three winters we have had no problems with our Dellpoint Europa 75. It burns clean, uses pellets in a frugal manner, and because of the battery backup has kept working through power outages.

The Story: During the winter holidays of 2012 my wife and I were going to be out of town. A co-worker of Margie's and her husband were new to the area and renting a small shared two bedroom flat. We offered them our house for the week we were to be gone. I showed the husband how to operate the Europa and wrote reminder instructions based on that. This young couple didn't "move in" until after the pellet stove had run out of pellets and shut down. The wife had arrived home first to a cold house, our LP furnace was set to kick on at about 50 degrees. So she decided to start the pellet stove and started the fire in the hopper. (I was glad to read others have done that too!)

To her defense she did try to call us but a comedy of errors, her cell service not working in our valley, and us with family and not paying attention to our phones lead to failure of the stove.

We returned home to this disaster. I checked the fuses, all good, and called the installer. He came out, checked the fuses, and then opened the stove to find the wiring harness cooked. He called Dellpoint at this time to get advice and I believe that they told him to replace the wiring. Well a new harness didn't come and didn't come so Brian, the installer, came back and rewired himself. No luck, same error code.

I was beginning to suspect that the circuit board got overloaded and fried. So did Brian. But Claude at Dellpoint assured us that the board was protected by three fuses and was not the problem it must be the auger motor just what the error code is saying. Time elapsed: two weeks, and the coldest part of the winter.

Brian is at his wits end and pulls the stove to take it to a nearby town and have an electric motor company look at it. They too say everything checks out and it must be the circuit board. Back to Dellpoint who finally agrees to send a board. This is one month later, burning LP in a very inefficient furnace - the reason we put a pellet stove in.

Six weeks and no parts. Two months and I am finally totally peeved. We are told by Claude from Dellpoint that the company that made his circuit board has gone out of business and he had found a new supplier and he will send a board as soon as he gets them. Another week and no word.

I had been holding off writing Claude directly, just a few months earlier I had received an email from Claude wondering how we liked the stove - I had nothing but praise. I didn't want to step on toes and get in the way of the process, but I had had it. I sent an email pointing out the lousy customer service after the purchase. Claude assured me a circuit board would be sent that Thursday and Brian said he had a old, but functioning, pellet stove we could use.

That was two weeks ago. No circuit board no word.

For many years I worked in retail and became an adviser to retailers. What I have always stressed is that the client comes first - they may not always be right but they come first. I have always prided myself on providing the best customer service I can possible deliver. Yes, I have blown it a couple of times but when I have I bent over backwards to correct the situation. Dellpoint has not.

I have had nothing but great things to say about our Europa 75. I had recommended it to several people who were thinking about pellet stoves. It is one of the most, if not the most, expensive stoves out there... one would think that their customer service would reflect that. There is no chance in hell that I will recommend Dellpoint stoves anymore. I don't even know if I want it back in our home.

Claude at Dellpoint has blown it for me and now I am telling the pellet stove world. Sorry Claude but you had your chances.

All too often we realize that service often far outweighs the product .
The Europa has been around for some years now but seemingly it never did break into the big league. And maybe just as often some newer technologies look much better in theory than they do in actual use. Of course the price of the stove doesn`t help or does the fact that the stove doesn`t automatically re-ignite itself.
The Palizetti stove "might" have solved that problem but their literature highlights that only high quality dust free pellets (capable of reaching high temperatures necessary for activating a secondary burn) should be used in their stove or failures can occur. It seems these secondary burn stoves are fuel fussy . Another important issue Palizetti touches upon for optimum secondary burn is the venting system should not have any elbows exceeding 45 degrees with 30 degrees being ideal. Add to this they go into great detail explaining chimney sizes , their construction , and the adverse effects of all the above regarding problems and proper operation of their stoves..
This strikes me as a technology that requires little to no tolerence for anything but perfect burning conditions.
I`m not implying the stoves are anything less than what they appear to be but to me most pellet stove are operated by non tech folks and as such should be made to operate in a simple manner.

Can anyone say "Englander Customer Service"? This is EXACTLY why I bought a stove made in the US from a company that wants to help it's customers.

There might very well be a price to pay for a pellet stove with revolutionary technology built into it especially a stove not made in the country you live in.
I have to wonder how fast the touted savings dissapears once the trouble begins, and we know from experience trouble WILL happen at some point .

We have sold, serviced Dellpoint and coached Dellpoint owners since 2006 when FPI/Regency was making them. We also sold some of the Paromax Dellpoints with very few problems. The recent economy was not very kind to many businesses/manufacturers in many sectors including stoves and stove components. We can provide Dellpoint parts at a fair price or help troubleshoot probems you may be experiencing.
Happy Heating Season

Reactions: boomhour
Hello, Just bought a brand new Europa 75, however is was made in 2006. Too bad I didn't know that it was so old even being new and the problems I have read about etc. Anyway, I have the thing now and was wondering if anyone has actually came to a conclusion on how to get the fuel bed level to raise. Agreed, the manual is "Awesome" to decipher. It seems that I can only get the bed level to basically burn on the augers with the extraction at 1 and the ID at anywhere from 6-10. The glass smokes up really bad also. Burning Heartland pellets. Thanks for any input.

Do you have no support from the seller? Do you have a warranty?
Anyway I can give some suggestions, first describe the venting size and length, ie: diameter, vertical/horizontal etc. Has it ever burned OK? Is it installed exactly as manual says? By ID do you mean the combustion blower?

Well. I wont pick on the dealer too much as it was clearly stated that they had it for a couple years and it hadn't sold. I did have them install it, but basically put it in place connected the pipe and left. I guess they don't know much more about it than me as of now. I am also guessing that since it is new and already 7 years old that there is no warranty. The vent pipe is double wall 3". It is installed in a full concrete basement. It vents up 6' MOL from the T and out 2'. The termination is a 45 with a screen. My elevation here is a bit over 5,000 feet. I choose this stove because it is built heavy duty and fully adjustable, however, I assumed that the adjustments would be somewhat explained better in the manual. Yes, I meant induction air ID as that is what it is called in opacity certs for boilers. Thanks much.

Sucks to hear of such problems. Get another brand of pellet stove and get back to enjoying the pellets. I am sure you have some pellets in stock to burn...

Bill

We have sold, serviced Dellpoint and coached Dellpoint owners since 2006 when FPI/Regency was making them. We also sold some of the Paromax Dellpoints with very few problems. The recent economy was not very kind to many businesses/manufacturers in many sectors including stoves and stove components. We can provide Dellpoint parts at a fair price or help troubleshoot probems you may be experiencing.
Happy Heating Season
I have a Dell-Point Europa 75. Bought it in 2008 and it has worked fine. But now the door handles (for ash extraction door and fire door) are not keeping a good seal. Do you carry the door handle parts? Thanks, Katie

They are shown in our current price list, complete assembly is $50 each to your mailbox.
Can you take the old ones apart and adjust them.
How do I get to your website??? It is amazing that they cost $50. This is a real killer. I can take the handle assemblies apart and adjust them, but then they get loose again.

Anyway, I think I will buy one complete assembly for the main door (not ash door). Let me know and thanks for responding to my question.

I know what you mean about cost. We don't have a website, an IT person, or even someone to answer the phone. It is only me, and when I am out servicing or installing the message machine answers. Email allows us to work early and late. :) Priority mail to you is $5+, shipping from MFG. in is usually UPS $15, the hassle is worth something and sometimes I never get paid; However I still try to help people with problems, and pad my retirement account. (Joke) I can't take credit cards, usually end up trusting customer to send a check. Paypal seems to work good, although that costs approx. 3% too. If you want the part, send a PM and we can email info

I know what you mean about cost. We don't have a website, an IT person, or even someone to answer the phone. It is only me, and when I am out servicing or installing the message machine answers. Email allows us to work early and late. :) Priority mail to you is $5+, shipping from MFG. in is usually UPS $15, the hassle is worth something and sometimes I never get paid; However I still try to help people with problems, and pad my retirement account. (Joke) I can't take credit cards, usually end up trusting customer to send a check. Paypal seems to work good, although that costs approx. 3% too. If you want the part, send a PM and we can email info

OK. I guess I am clueless: since I don't know your email, I can't send PM. My email is [email protected].

If you send me an email, we can work out details for the purchase. Thanks much.

Status
Not open for further replies.