Demand for firewood not being met

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A big part of the problem is that in today's society everyone seems to want instant gratification. Anything that involves waiting or work is quickly passed up for something quick and easy. There are still some things in life that require a bit more forethought, planning and work. A part of it is also getting caught up on the learning curve. At first a stove sounds like a great way to heat your home on the cheap (after the initial investment), but as you get into it, you find out that there's more to the story than giving the oil man the finger.

I see the impatience in some of the posts from new burners as well. There are a number of people lately whose questions (or problems) are related to trying to rush part of the process. Whether it's not having seasoned wood, rushing the start up of the fire, reloading too quickly, not wanting to wait more than a few minutes for the house to hit 80*, or rushing any other part of the process, it's all trying to short cut the process. Heating with wood does require more effort and patience than turning up the t-stat.

Once you get past the initial learning curve and lifestyle change that goes with burning wood for heat, it is really a rewarding lifestyle. It does slow you down a bit (in a manner of speaking), gets you off your couch and outside for some physical exercise, gets you closer to nature and gives you the satisfaction of seeing your hard work and time paid back in a lower energy bill.

This want it now philosophy is not limited to wood burning by any means. You see it in many other areas of life as well. Just look at the theme of most marketing done today; much of it boils down to how quickly and with how little effort you can be satisfied. Kid's attention spans seem to be at an all time low. Try to get a kid to help split wood, fish or sit in a deer blind. They are bored from the fifth second without some kid of electronic stimulant.

Sorry for getting off topic.

I understand what you mean, but I'm probably one of those guys that just wants to buy seasoned wood that some other guy put all the work into. I work 50-60 hours a week on top of a 100 mile daily round-trip commute. I don't think that is uncommon either if people want to enjoy the "American Dream" in today's expensive and busy world.

Some days I wish I was getting up to go to my barn to feed my cows and chickens, but then reality hits and I am driving 80 mph trying not to get hit by a tractor trailer on the highway.

I'm not criticizing, just observing. I have nothing against anyone who buys wood for any reason. I'm blessed with good access to free wood (in exchange for time and labor), otherwise I would be buying it also. I was more observing that many people don't plan far ahead. As evidenced in the article, they are waiting until the "last minute" to order their wood.

Quite often I find myself in the same "last minute" rush because I didn't plan well ahead or budget my time properly. I own and run my own business, which keeps me quite busy a majority of the time (it also lets me check in here often on office days). Quite often, i'm also the guy usually going 80 because I'm going to be late to meet a client or vendor. In fact, my day got knocked off the rails by UPS this morning or I would be out running right now. Instead I now have a day to get caught up in the office (until the running starts this evening).

I really enjoy getting out and doing something removed from my normal busy schedule. For me it's processing wood or working in the yard; for some it might be feeding the chickens, wood working, cars or any other hobby. Whatever the distraction, I think it's good to slow down and take a break every now and then.

MainePatsFan
The best thing you can do is get your wood supply for two years and stay two years ahead.
One way to save is buying the wood green, most wood processors will have a much better price for green wood. Get what you think is a 2 year supply of wood this spring and if you stack it in a good spot it will be ready to burn in 2008-09 and more than ready for 2009-10
I cut all my own and am just about to the point where I will be splitting and stacking my wood for 2010.

MainePatsFan said:
I understand what you mean, but I'm probably one of those guys that just wants to buy seasoned wood that some other guy put all the work into.

The only way that works with firewood is to buy it a year in advance. That way you take control of the seasoning part and are assured to have dry wood in the fall. Most firewood sellers don't properly dry their "seasoned" wood anyway so it's really not worth the premium they charge for it. Buy some green wood now and start getting ready for next season.

Pats Fan: The good folks on this forum advising you to buy your wood a year in advance is really great advice. I burn about 4 cords a year running my insert 16/7 and I keep 7 cords in my woodsheds and 2 more piled outside undertarps. An example of why this is a good idea -This summer the logging and sawmills were on strike for 4 months, so you couldn`t even hardly find firewood for sale last summer(and if some was to be found, the cost was prohibitive). Follow these guys advice and don`t get discouraged-there is no heat like wood heat when you do it right.

MrGriz said:
A big part of the problem is that in today's society everyone seems to want instant gratification. Anything that involves waiting or work is quickly passed up for something quick and easy. There are still some things in life that require a bit more forethought, planning and work. A part of it is also getting caught up on the learning curve. At first a stove sounds like a great way to heat your home on the cheap (after the initial investment), but as you get into it, you find out that there's more to the story than giving the oil man the finger.

I see the impatience in some of the posts from new burners as well. There are a number of people lately whose questions (or problems) are related to trying to rush part of the process. Whether it's not having seasoned wood, rushing the start up of the fire, reloading too quickly, not wanting to wait more than a few minutes for the house to hit 80*, or rushing any other part of the process, it's all trying to short cut the process. Heating with wood does require more effort and patience than turning up the t-stat.

Once you get past the initial learning curve and lifestyle change that goes with burning wood for heat, it is really a rewarding lifestyle. It does slow you down a bit (in a manner of speaking), gets you off your couch and outside for some physical exercise, gets you closer to nature and gives you the satisfaction of seeing your hard work and time paid back in a lower energy bill.Griz that was well said i could not have said it
any better. ;-P

This want it now philosophy is not limited to wood burning by any means. You see it in many other areas of life as well. Just look at the theme of most marketing done today; much of it boils down to how quickly and with how little effort you can be satisfied. Kid's attention spans seem to be at an all time low. Try to get a kid to help split wood, fish or sit in a deer blind. They are bored from the fifth second without some kid of electronic stimulant.

Sorry for getting off topic.

You'll find the best prices and supply of wood show up around May/June. That's a good time to get stocking and stacking.

Another good reason to buy in the spring is that most firewood producers are small operations and are not able to react quickly to market changes like the huge increase in demand this year.

This is why I suggested to the guy from NY the posted with a picture of his 33 cords, to get a fence and a security system---(Jokingly, but... along with the metal and copper scrappers and thiefs- we will now have to contend with cordwood thiefs).

Really, I too have noticed more posts from people that need / or should be using 'seasoned' wood, but this (woodburning) is a definete 'plan ahead thing. Most people are way too busy and peroccupied to consider anything more than three weeks in advance, along with some of that 'insteint gradification'.

I know that the comertial wood processors in this area are out of anything more than 'fresh wood'.

MainePatsFan:

I can certainly sympathize with your busy schedule. I commute about 90 miles per day and absolutely hate it (from Sidney to Topsham and back). I lucked out in the wood dept though....I got about 6-7 cord of 20ft red oak logs given to me. Of course I did have to saw, haul, split and stack it myself.....but it was more than worth it.

I'll be ordering tree length logs to be delivered to my house this spring which I'll work up and have ready for next season's burning. If you can find the time....this is the way to go.

Has anyone ever dealt with purchasing log length green firewood? I would love to be able to cut, split and season my supply so that it matches my needs.

Specifically who would you contact to get that stuff.

"Has anyone ever dealt with purchasing log length green firewood? I would love to be able to cut, split and season my supply so that it matches my needs.

Specifically who would you contact to get that stuff."

I have here in Michigan but as far as your neck of the woods i'd have no clue. If it's available in your area it's a nice way to get your supply. No branches to trim and haul, you can cut to whatever length you want, you can split it to whatever size your stove likes....the only negatives is nothing beats free wood and it takes a lot of room.

In our area, Chris Muma Forest Products will deliver 54 face cord (about 40ft plus long x 12ft high x 8ft) of stick oak (red and white) for about $1300-$1400 (i'm sure those prices have changed). The wood delivered is anything from 5" to 24" caliber. No back breakers. If you can afford it and it's available it's a pretty civilized way of getting your fuel.

emory said:
Has anyone ever dealt with purchasing log length green firewood? I would love to be able to cut, split and season my supply so that it matches my needs.

Contact your local arborist or tree service companies, even if they process the stuff they are cutting down into firewood they will usually take the "easy" buck and deliver you log lengths.

emory said:

Where I'm at the ads in the paper for "triaxle loads" of firewood began appearing in August and wern't in there for more than a week or two. I called and placed my order in advance and it was delivered when they started cutting in September. $750 for 10 bush cord of white oak, all nice sized and fairly clean and placed with their grapple exactly where I wanted it. It split out to 12 full cord and was a heck of a lot easier than hauling it out of the bush.

Now I know excatly why I love this forum. Just tonite I was telling my son that we are gonna have to start doing our own wood again because I NEVER get seasoned wood when I buy it. I work long hours, six days a week and am a single dad, my 13 yr old son was not looking forward to spending every Sunday in the summer cutting and hauling wood. Until I read the posts about BUYING wood ahead of time and seasoning it myself. WOW talk about not seeing the forest because of the trees. Jeez I feel like a dunce......thanks all :)

emory said:

Call the New Hampshire Forestry Association- they can hook you up with a local forester- Log dealer.
I bought two loads last Feb. (650.00 a Load, But that price can vary alot- availabily, season and how many other people are bidding up the price)

notbobvilla said:
Now I know excatly why I love this forum. Just tonite I was telling my son that we are gonna have to start doing our own wood again because I NEVER get seasoned wood when I buy it. I work long hours, six days a week and am a single dad, my 13 yr old son was not looking forward to spending every Sunday in the summer cutting and hauling wood. Until I read the posts about BUYING wood ahead of time and seasoning it myself. WOW talk about not seeing the forest because of the trees. Jeez I feel like a dunce......thanks all :)
Don't give up on getting him out to cut some wood, even if its only part of your supply. When my son comes home from college, we'll always spend at least an afternoon out in the woods taking down a tree or two, hauling it back, cutting to length, splitting and stacking. I generally let him do a lot of the chainsaw work and whatever splitting he wants. (we split by hand) I do most of the hauling and stacking. But he's a big help, we both have fun, get some exercise, and accomplish a lot. Helps him really appreciate the stove cause he gets to enjoy the rewards of his hard work. Great bonding experience!

hey really hot i see log length for sale in the local papers in you area all the time. try a co cold frog hollow.

emory said:

We get our grapple loads from a local logging company at about 65/70 bucks a cord in 20 foot lenghts.Check out the pile we got last April !!!!! Almost all pignut and shagbark hickory too...got lucky

Attachments

• woodbutcher_website_05.jpg
    woodbutcher_website_05.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 273
  • woodbutcher_website_02.jpg
    woodbutcher_website_02.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 288
Status
Not open for further replies.