Demo / Design options?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul L

Sep 28, 2013
Westcliffe, CO
Howdy Folks. New in these parts and I'm getting started on a project. Removing deterioting fireplace façade and ledge and 1982 Fisher insert with the goal of adding woodstove (if enough space can be created or a new insert. Here is the start of demo:

I have removed everything down to the following photos. If I'm going to install a stove I'd like to add an alcove if possible but I'm stymied by the iron box insert and wondering if I can remove it and if it will result in getting usable space.

A couple of concerns are the header that appears to be structural and the 4" ledge that would need to be removed to get down to the floor level after removing the box.

I'd like to remove the first course of cinder to reveal the interior of the chimney but it appears to be supporting this header:

You can see the chimney structure here revealed behind the first course:

... and here is the 4" poured ledge that would need to be removed to get down to the floor level.

____

All this is related to squeezing a stove into my small living room. If I go with an insert, should this massive iron box be removed?

Thanks

Paul

No, the iron box looks integral like a heatilator box. Alcove installs have strict rules for clearances and only a few that don't require 84" ceilings. A stove could be put on the floor or a raised hearth in front and connected to a liner or an insert could be installed. What are the dimensions of the fireplace?

If you don't already have your stove, this is the point to go get a consultation from a stove dealer. They can come to your home and tell you what you need to have. You then can review your options and move forward. You can get more than one consultation to assist you. These folks usually know all the local codes and rules that go with each stove. Hope you keep the pictures coming. Thanks

No, the iron box looks integral like a heatilator box. Alcove installs have strict rules for clearances and only a few that don't require 84" ceilings. A stove could be put on the floor or a raised hearth in front and connected to a liner or an insert could be installed. What are the dimensions of the fireplace?

Thanks begreen. Looks like the box is staying. Here are the dimensions"

I am now looking at inserts.

save$ ... thanks .... I am very rural and 70 miles from the nearest dealer. This is why I need you guys :cool:

Are you going to build out the front of the stove with a new veneer or facing? If so how thick? How deep is the stove at 17" and 19" above the fireplace floor?

What area will the stove/insert be heating?

Are you going to build out the front of the stove with a new veneer or facing? If so how thick? How deep is the stove at 17" and 19" above the fireplace floor?

What area will the stove/insert be heating?

At 17" deep the stove opening is 17" high. At 15 1/2 deep the box is 19" high.

The room is a high ceiling living room at the end of the house. I was thinking 35K to 42K btu range.

The front of the cinder block is very irregular. I'm going with a stone veneer and until now I was hoping to frame out the surface and use a woodstove. Now that I'm looking at inserts I can't frame that surface out because of combustibility, correct?

Last edited:
You can use metal studs and cement board for a frame out. If a freestanding stove is what you desire then build our a nice hearth for it. With height of the hearth it doesn't need to project out too far. It looks like all it would need is ember protection for the floor and perhaps a mantle shield.

Status
Not open for further replies.