Demographics of Woodburners

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jbrown56

Feeling the Heat
Oct 18, 2007
bedford nh
I've only been on this site for a few months now, and this subject probably has been covered here before. My question to all of you is; how old are you, how many years have you been burning and do you burn 24/7. I'm 51, been burning 24/7 for 26 years. My father in-law is 77, burning 24/7 for about 30 years. Looking forward to see how this turns out. I'm suspecting that most of us are 40 and above.

Jim

I'll be turning 30 in a few weeks. I'm working on installing my stove, and hope to start my burning career shortly.

-SF

I'm 27 and have been burning 24/7 for 9 years on my own and as far back as I can remeber when I lived with my dad

52 years old, 24/7 burner 5 years.

39, 24/7 for 8 years. 6 were with a wood furnace at my old place so still at the learning stage for a wood stove.

The Big 60. First stove installed in 1977, next one in 1985 and the current three in 2005/2006. 24/7 since 1985, in cold months that is.

I'm 37.......Back in 1978 my father fabricated his own wood stove (he was a really good welder). And years later we moved and bought a much more efficient Vermont Castings (1987).....a couple years after, an addition was put on, my Aunt and Grandmother had a Jotul upstairs (1991). I bought a house in 2003 that had a Russo stove in it, and after using it for a year (uuuhggg) I decided it was time to replace it. So in 2004, I purchsed a F500 Oslo and enjoying every minute of it.

The Woodbutcher

I'm 39, been doing the 24/7 for 20+ years. Started with a small antique "Franklin" type stove that was far from air tight (you could actually see the fire through the cracks :grrr: , then to a Vermont Castings (I forgot the name of the stove) and now a Jotul Firelight.

34, my second year burning 24/7 in an EPA stove. I burned somewhat less than 24/7 in a non-EPA ZC box for the 3 years before that, and growing up we heated with wood off and on (central furnace in one house, an insert in another).

39 and burning 24/7 (maybe closer to 20/7) for 7 years, but burned part time as long as I can remember, out in the shop.

I'm 27, my wife and our bought our first house this year and I installed a Jotul F3CB & SS chimney liner in the fireplace of our 1950s cape for this winter. FHW furnace has been on for a total of about 45 min and its been on the cold side of things up here in Portland Maine this year. I lucked out and have about 4 cord of Black Locust I was able to scrounge up (I think I'm getting spoiled). I grew up in a household that heats with wood (old VC Defiant first now a new VC Defiant w/ CAT) so althought this is MY first stove its not all that new to me. Never thought too much about the details of burning until I stumbled upon this site which has been a gold mine of information. Now I can't stop checking in to read and gather more info...

Wife who is from NJ (city girl) is loving the stove and is a champ. She pays the oil bill so the incentive is there for her to fill the stove up whenever there is an inch of space. With a small stove like the F3 it takes some effort and planning to keep the house warm but if you don't mind waking up and coming home to low 60s its not that much of problem. Within an hour the living room can be almost 70 and we don't usually stop until 75ish. I wish the fireplace in the house was larger and would accomidate a larger stove but, "do what you can, with what you got, where you are."

Thanks for all the great reads everyone, keep up the good work.

-Ben

57 ( I think ) been burning 24/7 ( when needed or when I could with the old stoves ) for about 20 some years less the time I lived in Phoenix, Az. not worth the effort there for the few times its cold enuf to burn.

I'm 39, 3rd season burning 24/7. My parents mostly heated our house with a big, rectangular stove for about 12 years when I was growing up, so that got me into it and the associated cutting. Funny thing, when we boys were all off to college the old stove was removed from the house (no more wood carriers)!

MarkG

65 here. Been burning 24/7 for 35 years. I am going to join the ranks of modern stoves with a PE T6 which I will install in March. I have done the new hearth as its going in a more central location and just do not want to disturb the roof until things warm up. Just have to find the patience. Funny thing I have been burning a long time but as we rely on our stove for heat I am looking at our old system critically and impatiently waiting for March.

I am a 46 year old resident of Long Island, NY and new to the wood burning scene (three months to be exact).

I hated the cold weather in years past. Now, I hope for the coldest days of the season so I don't have to open the windows :)

The warmth of my Jotul Castine stove has brought a whole new perspective on Winter. I only wish I discovered this sooner.

Art

I'm 71 and I've been burning 24/7 for 28 years. First, a Fisher Mama Bear for 25 years, it sits in the shed as sound as new. For two years a Drolet, too small, would not hold fire overnight. This year a new Dutchwest cat stove, clean, even temp. long burns, the best of the lot. It was my habit, when out feeding the livestock to look back at the house at the smoke from the flue to acess how the fire was doing. This year no clue!

Hi, I'm 36, proud father of 4 and my drinking buddies and I have a wood burning problem. I've been burning 24/7 for 2 years with an epa insert, hopefully a wood burning stove will join us in the basement next year. My father burned wood for heat 24/7 as did his father and his father. Proud to carry on the tradition....drinking that is.

31. I've been around wood burning on and off, but have only burned in my own house for 1 1/4-1 1/2 years. Last house was in Houston and it never was cold enough to worry about heat.

Matt

35, recently new insert (a month now 24/7 haven't even used full cord and it was cold here for dec) burned 24/7 in a harman exception freestanding for 2 yrs about 6-7 years ago .... burned in a franklin when i was a kid BUT now i know what i am doing!!!

OK - now who is going to compile the statiscis?

well - I guess I'll add to them... 42 - been in the house for about 14 years, and wood is the primary heat source. Prior to that - I grew up burning wood with a few different stoves in the parent's house. I had to take a few years break in between while living in a rented place (but still had to go home to cut and split for the folks).

I'm 36 and don't have my stove in yet :long: It was supposed to go in Fri the 28 but 4-6 inches may well prevent that. I love this place, and have learned more, in less time, about burning wood then I ever thought I could have. I have some sub par wood ready to go, not much but some, and no truly seasoned wood to be had, at any price, anywhere.

53 years young, burning 24/7 for 3 years, 5/2 for 15 years before that. This doesn't count all the things I burned as a kid does it?

46. been burning 24/7 a little over 6 years in this house and a few years when in my 20's 24/7 when i was allowed in the rented house. i'm a wood burner and i don't think i'll go back. (good lord a willin)

38, burn nights and weekends for two years now. Dont trust the wife yet during the days nor does she have any time (three boys 8, 2, 3mo.)

Status
Not open for further replies.