Dent in my liner - need some opinions.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 20, 2014
Eden, NY
I have a dent and some scratches in my liner about 1.5 feet above my stove. I have checked for punctures using a high powered flashlight and have not found any light coming through the outside of the liner. There are also no sharp edges or creases that I can feel when I stick my hand on the inside of my liner. I have also checked the draft with smoke, and it is pulling strong - I can even feel a good draft when I stick my hand up there...Do you think I can leave it as is and just check on it once in awhile to make sure the integrity is still good?
Should I push out the dents? if so, is there a good method on how to push the dents out? Should I splice it?
I spoke to the metallurgy engineer at my work and he didn't think that pushing the dents out would weaken the liner much given the flexible make up of the steel.

I'm open to any suggestions.

thank you!

Attachments

• WP_20161010_16_47_49_Pro.jpg
    WP_20161010_16_47_49_Pro.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 229
  • WP_20161010_16_47_44_Pro.jpg
    WP_20161010_16_47_44_Pro.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 310
Mine looks very similar. I , like you, checked with a flashlight and even stuck my phone up it and recorded it so I could check the extent of the dents which revealed no issues. I burned with it last year and had no issues at all.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Reactions: Fivehorizons88
Mine looks very similar. I , like you, checked with a flashlight and even stuck my phone up it and recorded it so I could check the extent of the dents which revealed no issues. I burned with it last year and had no issues at all.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

That makes me feel better - I also sent my phone in to take a video and didn't notice anything horrible. I figured if it were punctured the tactical flash light would have exposed it.

I would think if there are no holes and you don't have a problem getting a brush through it to clean it out it would be OK. YMMV...

Reactions: Fivehorizons88
Leave it.......it's fine.

I have the same issue with my professional install. Probably 10% worse. It's 5 years old. I figure I'll give it 5 more years and replace myself with an overview insulated liner.

Status
Not open for further replies.