DENTED CLASS A OUTER WALL

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rustynut

Feeling the Heat
Jan 5, 2008
mid mich
hi all,
wondering if i'm being too concerned here
when assembling my class a pipe for a good dimension it must have aquired a small dent in the outer wall
it is about 2 or 3 inches in diameter and maybe 1/8 to 3/16 deep
it is located just above the joint where my 2 pieces of class a join and above the roof line in the chimney box
probably at least 6 inches of clearance to combustables
looking for a safety opinion ?
looking forward to firing this quad up but wanting to be safe for sure
rustynut

Unless you banged it so hard as to puncture it, I don't think you have a problem. So long as the thing has integrity and all the joints fit together properly, it should be fine. Rick

I had something similar, maybe a bit smaller. in the 6" Supervent chimney I was assembling. Hard to say without a picture, though. I was able to pop it back out by gently striking the metal with the heel of my hand at one end of the dent. It really didn't take much ecouragement to pop right out, just one light tap. Once it popped out, you couldn't tell it had even been pushed in.

M1sterM said:
I had something similar, maybe a bit smaller. in the 6" Supervent chimney I was assembling. Hard to say without a picture, though. I was able to pop it back out by gently striking the metal with the heel of my hand at one end of the dent. It really didn't take much ecouragement to pop right out, just one light tap. Once it popped out, you couldn't tell it had even been pushed in.

I have a baseball size dent in my supervent pipe also. I might have to skamper up to the roof with a temp probe and see what difference I find.

I have one too. About the same. Seems to be easy to dent and I'm not worried about it. It passed inspection!

Mine has a few minor dents that were that way when I bought it from Lowe's. The worst one, I was able to conceal in my attic. Unless it's really bad, I think it is just a cosmetic issue. It was amazing how many pipe sections I had to pull from boxes to get some good looking ones. Almost every single one had big ugly dents.

thanks for the feedback
this twist lock pipe was difficult to lock and the walls so thin i guess thats that
i'll keep an eye on it for a while
didnt think it to be a problem
rn

Status
Not open for further replies.