Deposit made. Thanks for info

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Havendalefarm

Mar 16, 2013
New Haven ,NY
We put the deposit down for the Progress Hybrid. Shipping was as cheap as driving there, especially counting the inevitable stop for lunch, so just went that way. Will be sending us a refurbished Charcoal colored stove in April when they get done with it. Couldn't see passing up the savings for the refurb since they had the exact color wife wanted.(and I'm cheap) They are even going to put on a refurbished ash pan at significant discount. Hopefully it is warm enough in April to be down to one stove and I can just set it right in the front door with the skid steer. Just want to say Thanks to all on this forum that share so much info.

Congrats! Tell your wife she has great taste (mine is charcoal as well and I love it). I wouldn't get a used stove under most circumstances (don't know enough to make an informed decision), but I wouldn't hesitate to get a refurb from WS. Way to go!

Will be sending us a refurbished Charcoal colored stove
How do they end up with a stove that needs refurbished? The PH hasn't been out very long, I'm kinda surprised. Since it seems to be the best stove ever made, so I hear.

They said they get them back from folks on the six month guarantee for one reason or another. My guess would be operator error or maybe they were new to wood or didn't like the look. Just know that they stand by the refurb to be good as new, just no six month buyback. I don't have any worries at all about that. When my wife gets used to it being warmer in the house it might be warmer upstairs. That stove won't be going back.

Reactions: Gark
We'll be eagerly awaiting pictures once it's installed, and a report once you start burning.

You are just going to love watching that stove burn...gorgeous and amazing flames.

Have fun, and stay warm!

(I wouldn't worry either about a refurb from Woodstock. I'm sure they regasket everything when they re-sell a stove, even if it's hardly been used. :) And I'm sure they'll have added any modification they have made to the stove since the original build.)

They number every stove. Just out of curiosity, would like to know the number on your stove when you get it. Wonder if they keep the original nymber, or assign a new number.

Congrats. You are gonna love that big rock.

Reactions: raybonz
We'll be eagerly awaiting pictures once it's installed, and a report once you start burning.

You are just going to love watching that stove burn...gorgeous and amazing flames.

Have fun, and stay warm!

(I wouldn't worry either about a refurb from Woodstock. I'm sure they regasket everything when they re-sell a stove, even if it's hardly been used. :) And I'm sure they'll have added any modification they have made to the stove since the original build.)

They number every stove. Just out of curiosity, would like to know the number on your stove when you get it. Wonder if they keep the original nymber, or assign a new number.

Yes, they said they basically rebuild the stoves. Will come with all the updates, including the cook top and rear heat shield and new cat. Will post pics when in. Have to make the hearth a little bigger and may just do the veneer on the chimney over. Has old cheesy brick veneer with black "mortar", very 70's and would look funny with the new stove I think.

Reactions: BrianK
==c
Yes, they said they basically rebuild the stoves. Will come with all the updates, including the cook top and rear heat shield and new cat. Will post pics when in. Have to make the hearth a little bigger and may just do the veneer on the chimney over. Has old cheesy brick veneer with black "mortar", very 70's and would look funny with the new stove I think.
Sweet! Go with some stone. Stone on stone looks awesome.:)

You should still take a day and go over to meet the good folks at Woodstock.. You'll be impressed! Everyone there is really nice.. Congrats on your new stove! You're going to really love burning wood now.....You bought more then a stove, you bought hand crafted work of art;)

Reactions: raybonz
How do they end up with a stove that needs refurbished? The PH hasn't been out very long, I'm kinda surprised. Since it seems to be the best stove ever made, so I hear.
I was told that some people run in to financial problems thus having to give back the stove...the main reason they are returned... Like you said, why else would someone return such a great stove;)

I was told that some people run in to financial problems thus having to give back the stove...the main reason they are returned... Like you said, why else would someone return such a great stove;)

Another reason I could see someone returning a well loved stove like this would be from someone attempting to burn their "seasoned" wood of three months and thinking that the new-fangled, modern woodstoves are crap and wanting to go back to their beloved Moes, Fishers, etc.

Reactions: charly
Another reason I could see someone returning a well loved stove like this would be from someone attempting to burn their "seasoned" wood of three months and thinking that the new-fangled, modern woodstoves are crap and wanting to go back to their beloved Moes, Fishers, etc.
Good point!

Actually, the only reason I have herd of a PH returned was because it was too much heat for the space. And now that I've burned one all winter, I could understand that. ;)

Reactions: alforit
Actually, the only reason I have herd of a PH returned was because it was too much heat for the space. And now that I've burned one all winter, I could understand that. ;)

My experience is you can control the heat by
1) using less wood
2) turning the air supply down

This thing will start and burn well with three sticks of wood

I've got much better control over the PH than my old Jotul combi-fire ( the pre EPA one that looked like an easter island head).

That said, the woodstock rep who took my wife an I around the shop mentioned he used a Fireview at home because the PH was too big. Somewhere in the woodstock blog they talk about a working title for the PH stove (BMF)

George, I'll bet they treated you well at the factory. Yes, that title came on early and seemed to stick.

Congrats HDfarm you bought yourself a fine heater! Look forward to the pics!

Ray

I don't know much about cats, or Woodstock stoves from personal experience, but i would love to have a PH just from an aesthetic point of view. It is an amazingly beautiful stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.