Design guidance for new outside wood boiler-furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ylekyote

Sep 26, 2013
Hi. I moved into a house about a year ago. I am upgrading the heat sources (live in north-western CO). At present it has:

1. a 4.5x4.5x4.5 foot thermal tank in basement that assists the propane boiler and hot water heater. No complaints here, but unsure of it's efficiency. Only activily heats when when tank is hot and sun shining. I'd like to be sure it is actually reducing costs rather than making additional costs (elec or propane), or just wasting space.

2. a newer 5-year old propane gas boiler in basement next to #1 (above) that assures the in-floor radiant heat tubes are warm. If i did not have a wood stove upstairs to help heat the 2,700 SF split level home, this system would cost me about $2,100 a year to winter heat to 68/70 degrees and heat my Maytag water heater.

3. So presently the gas boiler is down due to a faulty outlet pump. It's a nest and mess of wires and pipes when you first look at it. Somewhat unsure how well it works. It's tied into the solar thermal tank and water heater. Last year I kept all 4 zones to it on 55 degree F but still cost me about $800 each fill up. in costs.

4. I was thinking of buying a used or new outside wood boiler to tie into the in-floor indoor water heat, thermal tank, and gas water heater. Is there generally a couple of brands that are the leaders? Which ones? I was considering a Shaver wood boiler. It says it's only maker that uses .4xx inch standard and sometimes .5 inch thick metal, and claims to be the heaviest duty stove on market for fairest price also. Thoughts about makes or design features? Thx!

5. I don't want to place inside, no room and don't want the additional fire precautions.

6. I want to harness the furnaces air and water that is heated for my domestic hot water, the in-floor heating pipe, and some forced air. Can I do all three? I don't have existing air ducts, but I'm fine with placing one duct in two rooms that can be moved around the whole house easy enough with 3 or 4 fans.

7. Are there any modifications that I should design into the wood boiler-furnace while installing? I'm sure I'm not thinking of some improvements that are great. I don't want to rip out the gas boiler just yet. I think it's good to have "prepper" equip that can duplicate heat. thanks much!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.