Design question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trumpeterb

Jul 15, 2009
Western PA
I am ready to install my new Eko 40 and I have a question regarding the design of the heating system before I get too far into it. I currently have a 4-zone radiant floor system with domestic hot water included in my plans. I live in a raised ranch, and the basement is unfinished at this point (which I hope will change in the next few years), and I have easy access to the floor joists. My question is this...will the heat generated from the radiant zones in the floor also radiate downward and heat the basement area? If so, would you suggest that I not insulate the joists, or as one person suggested, insulate every other joist to allow for the heat to make it to the basement? After looking at the scenerio, I have not ruled out making it a 5 zone system and putting 4 baseboards in the basement and insulating all of the joists above. Advice?

Heat radiating down from the joists won't go far in heating the basement - mostly it will create a warm layer near the basement ceiling that will make for more effective heat loss through the top of the basement walls. The basement floor will still be cold :-(

I've got wirsbo staple up. Trust me insulate underneath the radiant. I've had mine exposed for a couple of years, no noticeable heat gain in basement. Plan on insulating soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.