Designing the chimneys/flues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beno

Feb 26, 2007
Hi there,

I need the help of this forum with another important topic.
Our bungalow will be about 20 meters wide (about 65 ft), and I'd rather put 2 smaller wood stoves instead of a big one to assure backup and a better even distribution of the heat. Considering that the 2 stoves are located close to the left/right edges of the house, how should I design the chimney and the flues? My concern is that a flue that will not be close to vertical will affect the draft. Shall I go for 2 chimneys? And what about the kind of chimney to use, prefab metal or masonry? Please advice!

Thanks,
Beno

2 freestanding stoves at either ends of the house, I'd go prefab SS for price, performance, durability and ease of installation. My 2 cents

Thanks! Can you recommend a web site for me to read more about prefab SS? Also, if/when I decide to finish the basement, can I use the same 2 prefab SS also for 2 additional wood stoves in the basement, under the ones on the main floor?

Beno said:
Thanks! Can you recommend a web site for me to read more about prefab SS? Also, if/when I decide to finish the basement, can I use the same 2 prefab SS also for 2 additional wood stoves in the basement, under the ones on the main floor?

No they can't share a chimney. Are you sure you need 4 stoves? How big is this place?

First, I am in Ottawa, Canada, and I do have here a dealer of Excel prefab chimney. The place will be about 1800 sq.ft. on the main level, and 1500 sq.ft. in the basement. I plan to heat 100% wood, no furnace. The house will be ICF, very well insulated.

What is the layout like and are the stairs to the basement located?

From what I'm told Excel is a good chimney, around here most stove shops will not use anything else.

More than 2 stoves and it's really going to start to add up $$ wise, the chimney alone is gonna be big money. If I couldn't get it done with 2 stoves I start looking at alternatives.

Agreed. I'd plan on one stove on the main floor and one future stove in the basement. What stage is the design at or is the house already constructed?

Whatever the design, try very hard to keep both flues on the interior of the house. You'll get much better performance and less maintenance that way.

if you're trying to save money, use block chimneys (if you build them yourself) for 8" self-aligning flue tile, male ends pointed down. this will work well, especially if you can keep the chimneys indoors.

Thanks all for your advice. Let's say that I install only one large wood stove per level, one in the basement and one on the main floor, on the same side of the house. And also, on the same side of the house, in the basement I add a Tarm wood boiler for domestic water heating. Can I build one masonry chimney with 3 flues in it, one for the main floor and the other 2 that go in the basement? Or shall I use 3 prefab SS chimneys, connected?! I guess the chimney will look better, and have a smaller impact on the anvelope.

IMHO you should use three masonry flues; all 8" round self aligning tile (this is important) and it will work well and look much nicer than stainless chimneys, keep the masonry inside teh building envelope.

You know masonry inside the building envelope works quite well Using the 8/8 flues as Berlin said
Even the rectanglar flues have rounded corners In our area the 8" round is better but twice as
expensive as the rectanglar ones..

If you know you are going to have a stove upstairs also plann for a hearth large enough to place the stove.

In order to make it attractice brick front the block chimney facing as well.
Then you have a lot of leaway positioning stoves and probably do not have to deal with distances to combustiables

If you have a house plan Things will probably need to be w re worked for the chimney There will be framing issues, which if planned ahead are minor

Status
Not open for further replies.