designs for cheap wood crib

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Black Jaque Janaviac

Feeling the Heat
Dec 17, 2009
Ouisconsin
I've got to make some wood cribs to store enough wood for the winter.

Does anyone have some good plans/designs for making their own wood cribs? I am hoping for just using treated 2x4s and no expensive brackets; and I'm looking for something with a bar across the top to hang a tarp from to keep the wood dry.

4049176241_9c23bb056f.jpg

We have a gravel floor in this and just throw the wood into a very high pile. It's 40' long shortly the tarp will be coming off. Note the under/over horizontal ropes...they help maintain form with wind and snow. Crude but effective.

savageactor7 said:

We have a gravel floor in this and just throw the wood into a very high pile. It's 40' long shortly the tarp will be coming off. Note the under/over horizontal ropes...they help maintain form with wind and snow. Crude but effective.
I like that, I assume the wood is cured when you put it in there.

savageactor7 said:

Pretty clever way to cover the wood. The winds get too strong here to use that.. One noreaster and that would become a giant kite here..

Ray

4005723287_ffff642aa5.jpg

Yes the wood is already seasoned before it gets covered...it sits out here and there in remote piles. Over the summer I'll load a few buckets now and again and replenish the pile shown. This is the pile we draw from. Then we retarp it around thanksgiving when it's dry.

To help defend against wind all the structural ash you see is buried and tamped.

The horizontal ropes you see are installed just before we cover it...they protect against snow load. When it's covered more horizontal ropes are added over and in between the ones you see...they help lock down any wind sail damage.

This works well for us cause we're out in the country. imo the only weak link is the ugly blue tarps I'd really like to score some woodlawn camo tarps in 40'-50' lengths.

Don't depend on grommets to hold up you'll need plenty of tarp menders/grommet re-placers if you do this. Tarps just don't hold up the way they did years ago.

Savage, have you checked any farm supply stores? I'm thinking the covering people are using on the bales.

hummm... you're right Savage those white hay bales will last for years. Trouble is white is just as loud as blue I'm looking for something more low profile. But you've given me an idea...I know farmers have to recycle those plastic wraps so if I ever did find a respectable color I could still use those white sheets as an under-layment to reduce friction holes. That's a good idea ...thanks.

I don't bother with PT.

I put 3 concrete blocks on the ground 4 feet apart and stretch 2 eight foot 2x4 across them flat with a 4 foot upright at each end and a couple diagonal braces at the corners to stop the uprights from twisting over. Holds 1/3 cord. Instead of ripping 2x4 to 2x2 for roof support I've screwed some small pine tree trunks the top of the uprights and stuck another upright in the middle to stop the middle from sagging. I have some corrugated fiberglass to screw to pine . I ripped some 4x4 to 2x2 for my first one without the middle uprights and it doesn't stand up to snow without the extra upright in the middle.

I haven't bought 2x4, either. I've used all scrap and leftover lumber from building a garage. Some of the 2x4 have nails (temporary supports), but firewood doesn't care. Some I pull out, some I just bend over.

I used to use small pine trees for bottom stringers on blocks to stack on but they bend and round poles don't work all that well up on blocks. On the ground works better, but I have too many hungry termites to leave stuff on the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.