Desperately Need Help with Stinky Hearthstone Stowe - Please HELP!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
this sounds scarily familiar...

I had a customer in this same position a couple of years ago.... after coming out to her house I noticed the stove had a similar smell to what you describe, so i tested a new model from our inventory to see if it also had an odor, I noticed a definite difference between the two. The customers stove has a smell I couldn't remove by cleaning the firebox, re-painting, etc. (no fumes of gas leaks of any kind btw) , and our model from inventory had no smell at all, and we ran it for days, and had many different people smell check it.

So, finally after multiple visits to customers home, and negotiations with hearthstone, I had the unit replaced under warrantee. The unit installed was the same unit that had been tested extensively, and had no odor when it was burning in our shop. However when we installed it at the customers home, she again complained about odors.

when the "warrantee'd" ""stinker""" came back in, we tested it at length in our showroom, it never had any kind of odor what-so-ever, so it was sold as a used stove, and was never heard from again i.e., it lived happily ever after....

Because neither stove had any kind of odor outside of the customers home, we assumed the hearth’s tile glue might be to blame, as we discovered the hearth was set with glue vs thinset, and the stoves convective chamber pulls air from the hearth level passively out the top of the stove…

Frustrating situation, I tried my best….

If this is you Mrs. E, please say hi to Carl….

Hello

I have a Heat & Glow LP Gas Fireplace and had a bad smell. Finally I found that when I arranged the ceramic logs exactly per the installation manual the smell went away!! That is because when I originally threw the logs into the fireplace, some of the gasports were blocked causing the propane to not burn completely! This was the problem and the manual had no mention of smells!!!

So make sure the gas ports are not blocked so the gas burns completely.

Hope this helps

Don

<> I have a Heat & Glow LP Gas Fireplace and had a bad smell. Finally I found that when I arranged the ceramic logs exactly per the installation manual the smell went away!! That is because when I originally threw the logs into the fireplace, some of the gasports were blocked causing the propane to not burn completely! This was the problem and the manual had no mention of smells!!!
So make sure the gas ports are not blocked so the gas burns completely.<.

I kinda doubt the arrangement of your logs had ANYTHING to do with an odor from your unit.
Not sure which model you have, but almost ALL HnG fireplaces have a sealed combustion
chamber & as long as the glass is installed correctly, the only smells should be paint curing
or dust or construction debris on the surface of the unit burning off.
If you block the burner ports you will get sooting & delayed ignition - ESPECIALLY with LP - but no smells.

DAKSY said:
<> I have a Heat & Glow LP Gas Fireplace and had a bad smell. Finally I found that when I arranged the ceramic logs exactly per the installation manual the smell went away!! That is because when I originally threw the logs into the fireplace, some of the gasports were blocked causing the propane to not burn completely! This was the problem and the manual had no mention of smells!!!
So make sure the gas ports are not blocked so the gas burns completely.<.

I kinda doubt the arrangement of your logs had ANYTHING to do with an odor from your unit.
Not sure which model you have, but almost ALL HnG fireplaces have a sealed combustion
chamber & as long as the glass is installed correctly, the only smells should be paint curing
or dust or construction debris on the surface of the unit burning off.
If you block the burner ports you will get sooting & delayed ignition - ESPECIALLY with LP - but no smells.

agreed, any vented unit should just get sooty inside, not effect a smell.

I have the same problem, it smells like a spraypaint bonfire, and we have to air out the room with it running on high for 2 hours before the smell will abate.Yes, we run it for 2 hours on high with the doors and windows closed (it is in a double parlor with good ventelation) every time we use it. This has been going on since 2005 , we have done 12 long burns, and tried everything. Not overly sensitive smell wimp types ethir;)
The smell is a burning chemical type smell, called London Cmimmeney in SF, the co that sold the piece of s$6t to us, and they called Hearthstone, who said that they have never heard of this kind of problem, so that solves it it is clearly a problem of our imagining.
I wish I could throw the thing out the window. It is a hearthstone Tucson model. POS, do not buy this thing.

Ok, I called Hearthsone today and they told me that 3m manufactured the sticker on the back of the stove and this was responsible for the terrible smell that has plagued us. The solution is to scrape the sticker off with a razor blade and clean the area with denatured alcohol. Allegedly this fixed the problem. I was happy to know that they admitted the [problem. ;-P

Do you have pets? Cooking pet hair smells atrocious!

Status
Not open for further replies.