Destroyed hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flusher17

Jun 3, 2010
ADKs, Northern NY
So I broke down and destroyed my original hearth. Now I realize why my butt got so cold sitting on this old hearth. No insulation and just a 2x6 separating it from outside.

I was hoping to put a Jotul F400 on this hearth without having to make it any bigger, but no dice. Here is the new plan. Please comment if you feel I am doing something wrong.

I am going to build a new wall directly behind the log wall out of steel 2x6s and Durock and insulate it well. This will make a small alcove that is the same depth as the logs, so about 7-8 inches deep, 48" wide, and 48" tall. The stove will not sit in this alcove, though. The back of the stove will be in line with the log wall, with 7-8 inches of space behind it. The side clearances will over 10" on each side to the corner of the alcove. The new hearth will be built out of steel 2x6s, as well, and will be 40 inches from the back of the small alcove. This gives me the 16 inches that I need in front.

I believe I will not have to worry about the clearance to the ceiling of the alcove because the stove will be in front of the actual alcove and I am going to slant the top 7-8 inches of it at a 45 degree angle. Then a stone mantle 10 inches above that.

The entire alcove will be non-combustible: steel studs, Roxul insulation, and El Dorado stone and/or brick veneer. Thanks for any help I appreciate it.

The pictures are of the original Majestic pre-fab, the hole in the exterior log wall, and the destroyed hearth.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 588
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 580
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 607
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 579
Maybe I'm not reading this correctly, but are you saying you will have 10" from the edge of the logs to the alcove or the stove? Maybe a simple drawing would be in order. Clearance to combustibles is very important, thats why I am asking. Sounds like you got it figured out, but double check the stoves requirements and use those as minimum figures.

Sorry for not being clear. The stove is 25 3/4 inches wide and the hole in the log wall is actually 50" wide. So it will be 12" from the side of the stove to the log wall. Once I build the alcove out of steel studs, Durock and face it with stone veneer, the hole will be smaller but non-combustible. The specs call for at least 8" on the sides and it will be well over that.

As far as the 16 inches in the front goes, I am measuring 16 inches from the very front of the ashlip. On the F400 Castine the lip sticks out a good couple of inches in front of the door. I have a hearth rug that sits in front of the hearth, too.

Good on ya for double checking.

On a side note: hearth rugs are great things. It is amazing how far burning embers can jump when your not looking. Personally - I would shoot for more than 16" (for some reason I thought it was supposed to be 18", but I really am not that much of a code Nazi), but if you meet code and the rug provides the extra comfort factor, your in good shape.

madison said:
+1 As Jags suggested

If at all possible, I personally would not skimp on the 16" front clearance. The wood floor could be an issue if the stove does not sit exactly where planned, or you decide on a different unit .... Sparks, logs etc can and will fly further than 16"

16 inches? For some reason I was thinking the standard was 18 inches . . . but maybe I'm wrong and just added a few more inches to be extra safe when I built my own hearth.

But yeah . . . I agree with Madison . . . bigger is better as sparks shoot out, cinders sometimes roll out, etc. . . .

Thanks for the replies. The Oslo is 18", but the smaller F400 Castine is only 16" for front clearance. I agree I should try to go larger if possible. Do you guys see any issues with having the back of the stove in a shallow alcove with a slanted top?

I think the US standard for all stoves went up to the 18" from the door glass to the front edge of the hearth a couple years ago. It sounds like Jotul may have not updated the F400 manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.