1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Determine the Solar Potential of Your Roof Today!

Post in 'The Green Room' started by Hansson, Aug 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hansson

Hansson Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Sweden,Leksand

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Telco

Telco New Member

Loc:
    Okiehomey
    Already know mine. My neighbor's 2 story house is about 20 feet south of my 1 story. And that's the end of that story. :(
  3. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    That depends on Google, I think, which knocks me off the list.

Has anybody checked out http://maps.live.com ?
    It seems to have aerial views as opposed to satellite. Fantastic resolution, in my case.
  4. WoodMann

WoodMann Minister of Fire

Loc:
    New Mexico
    Cool- what I'm lookin' to find out is the conversion factor for watts to volts and so fourth. I'd like to explore this more, I see 48 watt1photovoltic panels around for $250 so I'd like to do the math to find out just what I can get out of 48 watts. I'd like to power a 220V 4500 watt space heater during the day, then, of course the stove all nite...................
  5. mikeathens

mikeathens New Member

Loc:
    Athens, Ohio
    I have a 4 kW array on my roof here in Ohio...you might be looking at better returns there in NM, but with a 220V/4000 Watt system like mine, ALL you'd be able to do is run that space heater. At $31,000 for the PV system, that's kind of a pricey way to heat your home. I'm sure you could add on a tracking package, but your're still looking at around 4000 Watt MAX, less in the morning and afternoon. You only get a good 2 hours or so at max output on the roof.

For your 48 W panels, you'd need around 94 of those panels, or $23,500. Then, add on mounting hardware, inverter, wiring, ground wire/rod, conduit...etc. etc.

FYI -> V = I*R (Ohm's law for DC circuits) - your panels produce in DC.

P = I*V

You just need to get some specific info from the panels/inverter to do the math.

Edit: I just reread your post. There really isn't any math for what you want to calculate (48 W = 48 W); the voltage would really be the only variable to deal with.
  6. WoodMann

WoodMann Minister of Fire

Loc:
    New Mexico
    Was thinking of cobbling enough panles together but have confluded it's too costly.............
  7. maurice

maurice New Member

Loc:
    Central Indiana
    Caleffi (maker of hydronic parts) has some free "idronics" design journals. I signed up. No I'm not connected with them, I'm just a guy drooling over going hydronic and getting a wood boiler, studying trade journals on hydronics. www.caleffi.us and "idronics at caleffi.us".

Thier 3rd in series is titled "What's New Under The Sun?" They concentrate on the hot water heating part of it. Included are some websites: (may not be clicky-linkies)

Solar path - http://solardata.uoregon.edu/SunChartProgram.html
    true vs magentic north - www.ngdc.noaa.gov

What about solar hot water panels and pumps powered by photovoltaics? 48 watts might run a circulator?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.