Determine the Solar Potential of Your Roof Today!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Already know mine. My neighbor's 2 story house is about 20 feet south of my 1 story. And that's the end of that story. :(

That depends on Google, I think, which knocks me off the list.

Has anybody checked out http://maps.live.com ?
It seems to have aerial views as opposed to satellite. Fantastic resolution, in my case.

Cool- what I'm lookin' to find out is the conversion factor for watts to volts and so fourth. I'd like to explore this more, I see 48 watt1photovoltic panels around for $250 so I'd like to do the math to find out just what I can get out of 48 watts. I'd like to power a 220V 4500 watt space heater during the day, then, of course the stove all nite...................

WoodMann said:
Cool- what I'm lookin' to find out is the conversion factor for watts to volts and so fourth. I'd like to explore this more, I see 48 watt1photovoltic panels around for $250 so I'd like to do the math to find out just what I can get out of 48 watts. I'd like to power a 220V 4500 watt space heater during the day, then, of course the stove all nite...................

I have a 4 kW array on my roof here in Ohio...you might be looking at better returns there in NM, but with a 220V/4000 Watt system like mine, ALL you'd be able to do is run that space heater. At $31,000 for the PV system, that's kind of a pricey way to heat your home. I'm sure you could add on a tracking package, but your're still looking at around 4000 Watt MAX, less in the morning and afternoon. You only get a good 2 hours or so at max output on the roof.

For your 48 W panels, you'd need around 94 of those panels, or $23,500. Then, add on mounting hardware, inverter, wiring, ground wire/rod, conduit...etc. etc.

FYI -> V = I*R (Ohm's law for DC circuits) - your panels produce in DC.

P = I*V

You just need to get some specific info from the panels/inverter to do the math.

Edit: I just reread your post. There really isn't any math for what you want to calculate (48 W = 48 W); the voltage would really be the only variable to deal with.

Was thinking of cobbling enough panles together but have confluded it's too costly.............

Caleffi (maker of hydronic parts) has some free "idronics" design journals. I signed up. No I'm not connected with them, I'm just a guy drooling over going hydronic and getting a wood boiler, studying trade journals on hydronics. www.caleffi.us and "idronics at caleffi.us".

Thier 3rd in series is titled "What's New Under The Sun?" They concentrate on the hot water heating part of it. Included are some websites: (may not be clicky-linkies)

Solar path - http://solardata.uoregon.edu/SunChartProgram.html
true vs magentic north - www.ngdc.noaa.gov

What about solar hot water panels and pumps powered by photovoltaics? 48 watts might run a circulator?

Status
Not open for further replies.