Determining Chimney Vent pipe brand?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMSD

Dec 11, 2012
Pacific Northwest
I am going to be hooking up a new St. Croix stove and I was given some vent pipe. I can't seem to determine the brand since the pipe had been painted and the labels were pulled off. I'd like to save some money on this and buy some pipe that will mate to this stuff.

Will Chimney pipes of differing brands be able to connect together? If not how can I identify the brand of pipe?

Thanks in advance.

I am new to this forum and I was in the same position. I was given chimney parts for a used stove I purchased. The PelletVentPro chimney part/parts I purchased did not fit the one that came with the stove. I was unable to determne the brand and the best deal I was able to find on a chimney system was from www.dynamitebuys.com
Good luck.

check code with your town too. My town does not allow re-use of any pipe for stoves. period. Ie, you can't install used pipe.

Take some close-up pics of the ends.....we might be able to identify it that way.

I do not have to purchase a permit or have it inspected in the county where I live, so I don't believe the no reuse pipe rule applies here. I have also verified this with the insurance company.

I have attached pictures of the ends. Hopefully, somebody may know what exactly I am dealing with here. 2012-12-11_17-42-49_943.jpg

Attachments

• 2012-12-11_17-43-01_766.jpg
    2012-12-11_17-43-01_766.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 697
  • 2012-12-11_17-43-17_804.jpg
    2012-12-11_17-43-17_804.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 724
Doesn't appear to be PelletVent.

That looks like CLASS A chimney pipe - typically used for wood/coal stoves.
Depending on installation method - it is possible to buy the adapater from PELLETVENT piping that transtions to CLASS A chimney pipe.
Typically you would not want to mix brands in general - due to safety.

That looks like CLASS A chimney pipe - typically used for wood/coal stoves.
Depending on installation method - it is possible to buy the adapater from PELLETVENT piping that transtions to CLASS A chimney pipe.
Typically you would not want to mix brands in general - due to safety.

It's only 3" pipe... do they make class A that small? I know for certain it was installed with a pellet stove because I got the pellet stove with it for free.

I
It's only 3" pipe... do they make class A that small? I know for certain it was installed with a pellet stove because I got the pellet stove with it for free.
Definitely doesnt look like selkirk or duravent.
And no I've never seen CLASS A 3" so strike my earlier comments.

That is James A. Ryder pipe which is now Selkirk PL vent has the same twist lock connection. It always leaked. 20 year old design.

Status
Not open for further replies.