DHT Splitter choices

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TJ1

Burning Hunk
Jan 12, 2015
Tennessee
Lowes has them on sale again.
The 22 ton model is $999 and the 27 is $1,299. The 27 comes with the log catcher.

90% of what I would be splitting is oak. I wont be getting back to Tennessee to buy one until next Monday so hopefully they will still be on sale. Which model would you suggest?

Either tonnage rating will more than likely do what you want. Maybe take a look at the specs to see if one has a faster cycle time or not. Oh - and if a work table is not in play a log catcher is the next best thing.

I got the 22 ton on sale at Lowes and it splits anything i throw at it including oak. Just make sure you check and tighten every bolt on the unit before you put it into use no matter what model you get. Their employees forgot a few bolts on mine and was glad i double checked. Got lucky it made it home in tow too.

Buy it online now for pick up in your local store.

I've got the 27 and can't complain. However if you get the 22 let me know and I'll sell you my barely used log table for a good price. I'm gonna make or buy something bigger.

I've got the 22T and it splits the biggest rounds and crotches that I have thrown at it. The 22T does have a faster cycle time than the 27T. They use the same pump but the 27T has a larger diameter ram

If you want the greater force with the faster cycle time, look at the 28-ton model.
Mfg. rated cycle times:

22-ton 10.9 s
27-ton 14 s
28-ton 10.5 s

I have the 22T and it will grunt and grown some times when splitting oak, but it has never failed to get the job done. I move mine by hand a lot and the 22T is easier pull around if that's a concern.

I have the 22T and it will grunt and grown some times when splitting oak, but it has never failed to get the job done. I move mine by hand a lot and the 22T is easier pull around if that's a concern.

I got a trailer dollar for 50 bucks from harbor freight. Makes moving the splitter a pleasure. I suggest getting a little better one with the larger tires though.

If you're patient, and have a Menards within reasonable driving distance maybe wait and see if they have the DHT 27 Ton in their Black Friday sale again?

I'm still kicking myself for not buying one... $699 after rebate

One has to ask themselves if 6 more tons getting the 28 vs the 22 is worth $400 more. That's almost half the cost of the 22 ton. Then for like $100 more than the 28 ton, you can get the 35, albeit with slower cycle times. Choices, choices.

One has to ask themselves if 6 more tons getting the 28 vs the 22 is worth $400 more. That's almost half the cost of the 22 ton. Then for like $100 more than the 28 ton, you can get the 35, albeit with slower cycle times. Choices, choices.

That's exactly where I'm at...I'm trying to decide between the 28T and 35T DHT, unless someone can convince me of a reason to purchase another brand/model.

My thoughts are that the 22-ton model will do just fine for most folks who produce firewood for their own heating needs. The 28-ton can benefit the high volume producer because it's two-stage pump will stay in the faster initial stage more often than the 22-ton model when acting on larger or more difficult rounds.

Reactions: Mike Fromme
Lowes made my choice a little easier. Today I swung by to pick up some paint samples and noticed they reduced the 27T model by another $100 down to $1,199.
Bought one using my military ID card and got another 10% off for a final price before taxes of $1,079. I'll pick it up tomorrow and will try it out in a week or two.

Reactions: CrufflerJJ
Lowes has them on sale again.
The 22 ton model is $999 and the 27 is $1,299. The 27 comes with the log catcher.

90% of what I would be splitting is oak. I wont be getting back to Tennessee to buy one until next Monday so hopefully they will still be on sale. Which model would you suggest?

Menards has them on sale for $799 for 22 ton I seen in flyer at work. I'm not sure of engine.

Bought one using my military ID card and got another 10% off for a final price before taxes of $1,079.
Are you active? If so Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.