dhw 1557m

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinj

Minister of Fire
Aug 11, 2008
Anderson, Indiana
dhw off a 1557m

Attachments

• dhw1.jpg
    dhw1.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 260
I wouldn't mind doing something like that off of my furnace. I can't place it in the furnace, but inbetween our heat exchanger and the top of the firebox. The reason I have thought about it is the water heater is right beside the woodfurnace. If possible, it would be nice to just have it thermosiphon and not have the use of a pump. Even if it didn't heat 100% of the water it would save us some money. I'm just scared of making a steam bomb, LOL.

laynes69 said:
I wouldn't mind doing something like that off of my furnace. I can't place it in the furnace, but inbetween our heat exchanger and the top of the firebox. The reason I have thought about it is the water heater is right beside the woodfurnace. If possible, it would be nice to just have it thermosiphon and not have the use of a pump. Even if it didn't heat 100% of the water it would save us some money. I'm just scared of making a steam bomb, LOL.

Mine has frozen on the loop that goes through the Attic. Even froze it was ok steamed off a little here and there but everything work as it should. Thats a really good test when you don't have cold water going to it....270 where it was running but that wasn't for long I just open the attic door and let the heat up there and it thaws in 1/2 hour.

Not sure about whats being said here but if you are reaching 270* you have a steam bomb just waiting to blow. When and if you release the pressure either from a leak or burst pipe the water will IMMEDATLY turn to steam with a huge force. Lotes of oldtimers found that out with steam engines. Make sure you have a relief valve on there. I think myth busters has a video of a water heater almost going into orbit.
leaddog

leaddog said:
Not sure about whats being said here but if you are reaching 270* you have a steam bomb just waiting to blow. When and if you release the pressure either from a leak or burst pipe the water will IMMEDATLY turn to steam with a huge force. Lotes of oldtimers found that out with steam engines. Make sure you have a relief valve on there. I think myth busters has a video of a water heater almost going into orbit.

leaddog

lol yea there's a relief valve and it works. The water in the tank wasnt 270 just the copper coil or arm.

Status
Not open for further replies.