Q&A DHW coil

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Re: DHW coil Hi, I'm looking for a domestic hot water coil that I can fabricate into the stove pipe of my wood stove just as the exhaust leaves the fire box. My stove has a six inch collar and I am dumping the exhaust into an 8" stove pipe so there should be ample room in the stove pipe for a coil without interfering with draft. My thermometer on the stove typically reads between 400 and 800 degrees which is plenty of heat to establish a heat siphon. ANYWAY- does anyone make such a product?

Answer:

Not that I know of. You can simply wrap copper tubing - 3/8 or so, around the pipe and then place another sleeve around that. Of course, you'll have to establish a thermosyphon or use a brass or stainless circulator for moving the heated water. Also, don't forget to install a PR Valve close to the stove.

I'd replace the first section of pipe with a 6" and then wrap the tubing around that. Then place an 8" over that to provide heat retention.

Status
Not open for further replies.