DHW Pasco Temperature Guage got water logged!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

When I put in the Indirect Domestic Hot Water tank I saw how the temperature adjustment works on the aquastat. However since I like some feedback as to what the real temperature is coming out of the hot water tank, I installed a Pasco brand temperature guage a few years ago. this way if anyone complains about the hot water in the house I can see what the temperature of the water is coming right out of the top of the tank. It was working well until a few days ago when all of a sudden it took on some water!!!
See pics.

So I brought it back to my local heating supply wholsaler and to my dismay there is only a 1 year guarentee with the original sales slip. Also I found out that they do not stock these $29.95 temp guages anymore!! I wonder why?
The Water peressure in the house is regulated to only 55 PSI !!

So I purchased an Ashcroft bi-metal temperature guage that they now stock for $43.00. It has a long thin shaft instead of the short stubby shaft like the old Pasco.

Does anyone know if this will work any better?
As you can see in the pic with the new Ashcroft Guage the water temp is 100 Deg F.
The aquastat is set to 120 Deg F so I just bumped it up to 130 deg F. Hope I do not use alot more oil!!!
See pics. Click to Enlarge.

Attachments

• BoilerDHWguage (1)sc.jpg
    BoilerDHWguage (1)sc.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 130
  • BoilerDHWguage (2)sc.jpg
    BoilerDHWguage (2)sc.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 135
  • BoilerDHWguage (3)sc.jpg
    BoilerDHWguage (3)sc.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 148
  • AshcroftIndThermometer1sc.jpg
    AshcroftIndThermometer1sc.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 118
  • AshcroftIndThermometer2sc.jpg
    AshcroftIndThermometer2sc.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 134
I have Pasco guages on my boiler piping but they are different that what you have. It has a special sweat in "T", though it's only open to water like a coupler would be. The T part that the T Stat sticks in is just a copper well. It measures the temp of the copper around the probe.

NATE379 said:
I have Pasco guages on my boiler piping but they are different that what you have. It has a special sweat in "T", though it's only open to water like a coupler would be. The T part that the T Stat sticks in is just a copper well. It measures the temp of the copper around the probe.

Yes my aquastat goes into a copper well like that, but I wanted to measure the REAL water temperature!!

Don't know if there is much difference between the 2 kinds. The ones I have seem to be accuarate.

Status
Not open for further replies.