1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

DHW - pre-heat, or just zone

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by Vande, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Vande

Vande Member

Loc:
    Northern NH
    Got it! Thank you! Sometimes I need I need a nudge, sometimes I need a harder hit. Nofossil, Thank You

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. peakbagger

peakbagger Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern NH
    I have a solar hot water system with DC Pump and the storage tank is basically an electic hot water heater with a copper coil wrapped around it at the factory. There is still one electric element which I have never hooked up. From April to October, solar supplies all the hot water and I have no need for backup. In the winter I have a superstor type unit that runs off a separate zone on the heating system. During warm weather this tank is off line. in the winter, I swap some valves and the SHW tank supplies the cold inlet to the superstor. In the winter, when I am running the wood boiler, the superstore zone does not run when I am running off storage, but at the end of burn cycle when my storage reaches full temp, I can manually use the superstore zone to get rid of some of the excess wood boiler heat. I have considered using the superstor in the winter with a circulator pump to charge up the solar tank with excess heat from the wood boiler which would triple the amount of hot water I could store but realistically just charging up the superstor every day or so works fine.
  3. Nofossil

Nofossil Moderator Emeritus

Loc:
    Addison County, Vermont
    Glad I was able to explain it. You might be surprised to discover that I manage to confuse a lot of people much of the time ;-)
  4. Vande

Vande Member

Loc:
    Northern NH
    I disagree, I have read many of your posts for some time now, and while technical, if people are confused, they should just read it again, or get a bigger hammer!
  5. Nofossil

Nofossil Moderator Emeritus

Loc:
    Addison County, Vermont
    I tried telling my wife that - didn't turn out well :-(