diagram of pybyr/ Trevor's proposed plumbing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BrownianHeatingTech said:
For flow-reversing with a valve, I'd look for a simple 4-way valve. Single valve body and a single actuator, and you have flow reversal with a single pump.

It will be more expensive than a pump, so it's of dubious value. ...
Joe

Joe- and/ or others- can someone point me to an example of a specific type of valve referred to by Joe in the text quoted above? And how it's hooked up with the source, circulator, and load to have the one 4-way valve kick the flow into an opposite direction?

my recent looking into/ considering the higher electrical efficiency circulators re-raises the valve question, on account of the fact that the euro-type ECM circs would be substantially more expensive than a "usual" circ.

Still not quite sure on whether I'll go with the dual-circs-in opposite directions or valved-reverse mode, but I would like to fully understand the options before I (very soon) start ordering parts for the hookup

thanks!

pybyr said:
Joe- and/ or others- can someone point me to an example of a specific type of valve referred to by Joe in the text quoted above? And how it's hooked up with the source, circulator, and load to have the one 4-way valve kick the flow into an opposite direction?

Page 2 of this thread has a drawing of what I did on my system.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/12887/

I just used a SPDT relay to send 24vac to the actuator right and left motion based on the system state. You want to make sure you get a floating actuator to make controlling it simple.

termite said:
pybyr said:

Page 2 of this thread has a drawing of what I did on my system.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/12887/

I just used a SPDT relay to send 24vac to the actuator right and left motion based on the system state. You want to make sure you get a floating actuator to make controlling it simple.

thanks termite!-- can you (or anyone one) please give me more details on make / model of the valve & motor?

thanks

pybyr said:
thanks termite!-- can you (or anyone one) please give me more details on make / model of the valve & motor?

thanks

Valves and actuators are EASB. I would probably go one size bigger than your plumbing for the flow reversal application.

pybyr said:
my recent looking into/ considering the higher electrical efficiency circulators re-raises the valve question, on account of the fact that the euro-type ECM circs would be substantially more expensive than a "usual" circ.

ECM really gives benefits when the head is variable (as in systems with zone valves, and such). The savings are much smaller on a tank charging loop, where the piping is so short and there are no valves operating, so the head is pretty much a fixed (low) quantity.

I wouldn't bother with ECM on that sort of application, personally.

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.