Dialed in!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AnalogKid

Burning Hunk
Oct 22, 2012
CT
I lit off a full load last night right at 9:00pm. As I type this at 9:26am my blower is still on and stove top is still at 275-degrees with a small pile of glowing chunks. Now that was a good burn!

Hello! I've been reading up on some of your posts, as I am in the process of getting an estimate for the wins18. I'm somewhat new to wood stoves. Are you still pleased with your purchase (seems that you are) and do you know a ballpark of what I should be expecting to pay for the stove itself and then installed? I have about 25 ft of chimney, will need a liner and cap. Any tips or anything you would have done different? I'm heating about 2k sqft 2 story house with a very open floor plan (and 2 heat pumps to move air around if needed). I suspect its gonna run me out of the house (which is what my wife wants! and you know if shes not happy then.....) Thanks!

Oh and sorry about your Pats down here in Charlotte last Monday :)

I lit off a full load last night right at 9:00pm. As I type this at 9:26am my blower is still on and stove top is still at 275-degrees with a small pile of glowing chunks. Now that was a good burn!

<----- This is a Broncos fan!

Yes, very happy with the Wins18. It is the only insert I have ever owned so I have nothing to compare it to. That said, it has treated me well. Took me a little bit to really extract these long burn times. Experimenting with wood loading and air/blower settings, and I think I have it pretty much dialed in.

I have to be honest, I actually found the stove almost by accident, and one of the main deciding factors was its looks. I just wanted something very clean and basic, with a contemporary-ish look to it. The fact that it was very reasonably prices was a bonus. Once I determined it was the 'one', I called a few dealers for pricing. I am almost positive I negotiated a price of $1800 installed, and I supplied the liner, liner insulation, top plate and cap. That all totaled about $600. So right around $2400+/- when all said and done. It should be noted that my install was a piece of cake. Location of stove, short chimney, and flat roof all simplified things.

2000sqft, 2-story is bigger than my 1450-single, but I think if you have a way to move air around, it should do you fine.

BTW, 11:39am and the blower just kicked off, and stove top is at 200. That may have been a record. Full load of seasoned black birch, and people say birch doesn't have a good burn duration.....

Haha! I looked at your location and made an assumption ( you know what happens when.... ) :) But I do now recognize your Bronco avatar!

Thanks for the info - everything you described is about what I am expecting - just waiting to hear back from the dealer. Just wanted to make sure my thought process was correct and had some bearing on the figures ahead of time.

We shouldn't have any trouble moving air - The fireplace is in the main living room, which is open all the way to the second story. We have a huge ceiling fan in that room to move air between 1st and second levels, and each level has its own heat pump...the cold air returns for each hvac will pull air directly from the living room. Based on the posts I have read on this site, It seems I may need just minimal assistance from the heat pumps if it gets really cold (or we are away from the home for a several day period). We like to sleep at about 65 degrees, so if we get 70-75 degrees in the main living area I bet we'll be in that ballpark. I will continue to read your informative posts so I too can get it dialed in. :)

Reactions: AnalogKid
Wel, I'm burning....complete newbie but so far I'm doing ok I guess..... :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    271.5 KB · Views: 129
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 118
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    290.7 KB · Views: 116
Status
Not open for further replies.