Dick Hill’s Latest Adventure

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
He does not have any gear for that testing.
He is happy with the results that are the space is warm and it is not using a lot of wood.
I will land there someday with my combustion tester for some spot checks.

There is no visible smoke coming from the unit.

I guess any wood burning device over 800kg that is site built is exempt from any certification.

Says something about masonry heaters. Or at least the possibility of burning ones house down with it.

Masonry heaters are an inspiring example of "appropriate technology." No electronics required, no fiddling required (minus those who use the damper to shut off the draft at the coaling stage), keeps you warm but not too hot. Absolutely inspiring technology. The rocket stove mass heater is another piece of inspiring tech IMO but not as practical (in form, anyhow, with that big ugly barrel) for most contemporary homes.

Indeed, Many years of stove technology have come and gone, but a well designed and made masonry heater is still one of the best ways for safe, comfortable warmth.

Would have been nice to video his presentation, and post on internet. Then we could all participate in a virtual show-n-tell.

Thanks for the update.
john

I would love to have one in my next house, rather than spend money on a useless fireplace I would put the money towards a masonry heater.

Construction details from Dick Hill.

Attachments

• 100_5408.jpg
    100_5408.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 339
  • 100_5359.jpg
    100_5359.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 339
  • 100_5360.jpg
    100_5360.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 350
  • 100_5365.jpg
    100_5365.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 351
  • 100_5366.jpg
    100_5366.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 336
  • 100_5367.jpg
    100_5367.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 369
  • 100_5370.jpg
    100_5370.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 346
  • 100_5434.jpg
    100_5434.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 364
out of curiosity, what is that taped to the middle / upper/ right of the 'blueprint' (middle corner) Is that a bypass to get things going?

This looks awesome, and I aspire to be so aspiring at 92 as I know too many 42 year old's who don't do this much.

pen

Is there any refractory cement used ? Looks to be standard brick also. Any firebrick ?

Will

I believe that is a bypass for heating the cooktop.

There is mortar, where exactly, I am not sure. most of the innards are firebrick. Some are insulating firebrick, some are standard firebrick
and there is some insulating ceramic fiber in there also to de-couple the firebrick where necessary.

Not sure about the air wash. I believe we only burn hot all for Masonry heater so the glass should stay clean most of the time. :)

Cheers......Som

The glass is temporary for play, I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.