Dictionary cord vs. cross-stack cord- actual CF?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beetle-Kill

Minister of Fire
Sep 8, 2009
Colorado- near the Divide
Whew! Taking a break until the rain stops, then back at it. Since I'm stacking on pallets, but on a slope, I'm cross-stacking quite a bit. Just curious what volumn loss I'm experiencing, in cross-stacking vs. regular stacking. 14 pallets done to a 5' + height, 18 more to go. Thanks, JB.

I don't think I lose anything to pallet stacking. My stacks are all cross-stacked to about 5.5 feet high. The reason I don't think I lose is that the shorter pieces get mixed into the masses and I have very little open space. The last 4 pallets were all Ash and the stacks were very tight. If I were thinking of burning it this summer, I may be spacing out the pieces to allow more air flow.

I'm not concerned with M/C with this stuff. Upper end is at eye-level (I'm 5'-6"), lower end is above my head. The far end has turned into a "chipmunk" fortress, so enough spacing for the lil' bastidges to get a sense of comfort.

Beetle-Kill said:
Whew! Taking a break until the rain stops, then back at it. Since I'm stacking on pallets, but on a slope, I'm cross-stacking quite a bit. Just curious what volumn loss I'm experiencing, in cross-stacking vs. regular stacking. 14 pallets done to a 5' + height, 18 more to go. Thanks, JB.

Hard to say . . . but I wouldn't sweat it . . . to me having stable stacks would be more important than having an exact figure on how much wood you are stacking . . . unless you ordered wood and are trying to figure out if you received the amount you ordered.

Beetle-Kill said:

Wow! If I'm reading this right you have filled 14 pallets and have 18 more to go. If your pallets are the 48" x 40" stacked to 5' tall thats roughly a 1/2 cord per pallet.... sounds like you have 16 cord to stack. That is a good days work LOL!

Rain didn't let up, so I just kept splitting. I'll stack this weekend. I'm also supplying a few people in the canyon with wood. That's the main reason for my question, so I have an idea of how much more wood I need for this winter. Feels like winter might come early this year.

Hey Beetle-Kill, be thankful it is rain. Soon it will be albino rain.

Status
Not open for further replies.