Did a little splitting...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

varna

Dec 2, 2009
SNJ
last night and took some pics to share. The old TB (lowes) splitter kept doing her thing with no problems. Got about a cord done. BTW, I'm pretty sure that it is oak of some sort (that's all we seem to have in S. Jersey anyway). I have c/s/s tons of white oak and standing dead black oak but this is a little different. When I split the standing dead the smell reminds me of being in my grandfathers basement with his wine barrels. I actually like it......this.....smells like pee. I always thought black and red oak where kinda sorta the same? Maybe this is "red" oak? Pin? One thing I do know is, it was fun to drop and cut and it is....free.
Just thought I'd share

Attachments

• SL733930.jpg
    SL733930.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 783
  • SL733929.jpg
    SL733929.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 798
  • SL733926.jpg
    SL733926.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 812
  • SL733899.jpg
    SL733899.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 782
A couple more pics of the wood for ID?
The 372xp has a 24" bar for reference

Attachments

• SL733900.jpg
    SL733900.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 797
  • SL733916.jpg
    SL733916.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 781
  • SL733898.jpg
    SL733898.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 770
Man that does look fun. I am not sure about what kindof tree that is. It does not look like any oak I know here in MS.

Got a photo of a split piece? Could be w. Oak, Hickory, or maybe Basswood?

Go Troy built! That size round is what they like....

That is one huge round. How many splits are you getting out of one of them?

Serious BTUs there.
Looks like fun.
Great pics
Thanks

varna said:
last night and took some pics to share. The old TB (lowes) splitter kept doing her thing with no problems. Got about a cord done. BTW, I'm pretty sure that it is oak of some sort (that's all we seem to have in S. Jersey anyway). I have c/s/s tons of white oak and standing dead black oak but this is a little different. When I split the standing dead the smell reminds me of being in my grandfathers basement with his wine barrels. I actually like it......this.....smells like pee. I always thought black and red oak where kinda sorta the same? Maybe this is "red" oak? Pin? One thing I do know is, it was fun to drop and cut and it is....free.
Just thought I'd share

I'm terrible at identifying with pictures but will tell you it is not red oak or pin oak. By the way, it is very easy to tell pin oaks. Look for lots and lots and lots of small branches with the lower branches pointing to the ground and they die off quite early in the life of the tree. But cutting a pin oak....plan on doing lots of limbing.

How do you move those things? That looks back breaking just getting them to the splitter.

That is one huge round. How many splits are you getting out of one of them?

I really didn't count them but I only split them down to a size that I can pick up to put in my OWB. I have a couple left to do so I'll try see what I end up with.

I’m terrible at identifying with pictures but will tell you it is not red oak or pin oak. By the way, it is very easy to tell pin oaks. Look for lots and lots and lots of small branches with the lower branches pointing to the ground and they die off quite early in the life of the tree. But cutting a pin oak….plan on doing lots of limbing.

Well, like I said I'm not sure, but it certainly splits like an oak. I've done some maples and I'm almost positive it is not a maple, splits are way too heavy. Maybe it's just a very large white oak but most of the white oaks I split were much more "stringyer" than this. From your description of pin, well I'm sure its not.

How do you move those things? That looks back breaking just getting them to the splitter.

If you look in the very first pic, you will see my little helper. New Holland L-455. It is the best toy....ummm.... piece of equipment we obtained for doing wood. It is powerful enough to lift anything I have cut, but small enough to zip in and out of the trees in the woods while cutting. I can haul it to anywhere I cut wood in my 6 x 10 dump trailer, use the trailer to get the wood home, then load up at the end of the day. Any larger of a unit I would need another trailer. Plus all the other chores around the yard I can get done with it.

Moving the big rounds like that can be a challenge but is doable by hand. Sometimes a cant hook can be your best friend but if they are right by the splitter, I then just roll them to the splitter and then tip them right onto the splitter butt and all is well. It is maybe difficult to explain in words but not so difficult once you get the hang of it. Just remember, don't try to lift them; roll them. Sometimes you can tip the round at about a 45 degree angle so you can roll it like you would roll a barrel.

I see the New Holland Skid Steer now. Dennis can show me the hand rolling technique someday. When I get them that big I usually split them by hand in the woods then bring em back, of course I still have held out on getting a splitter until I can no longer split by hand. It is about the best workout I get anymore. My Bobcat can bring back the whole log at a time and sure comes in handy for many chores. I have recently gotten into milling so it will be handy to get them to a level spot and lifted to bench height.

varna said:
Just thought I'd share

Those are some nice sized rounds and you should have some nice fires from the splits.

Zap

Looks like red oak to me, I have some in my driveway now that looks just like that, it is so easy to split that if I had a 90yo grandmother she could split it, matter of fact I bet I could rip apart one of those rounds with my maul faster than you can with a machine :p

ChrisNJ said:
Looks like red oak to me, I have some in my driveway now that looks just like that, it is so easy to split that if I had a 90yo grandmother she could split it, matter of fact I bet I could rip apart one of those rounds with my maul faster than you can with a machine :p

I know what you mean.I sold my Speeco 20 ton H/V splitter 5 1/2 yrs ago,but on straight grain stuff like clear average-sized Red/Black Oak,I could (and still can) split it faster with 5lb axe or 8lb maul than the set-up time for splitter.Especially easy if the wood is a bit frozen or damp.Speed of my swing is more important than the force or weight I've found.

ChrisNJ said:

Well, I still mess around hand splitting "short" rounds....you know the stove length stuff @ 12" and 16"....it can be fun. The length I cut myself is 22" to 24", just short enough to get in the splitter.....quite a difference to split by hand.

mainstation said:
That 372XP is a great saw eh !! Go Orange.

It rips through the wood. I love it!

Don't know what it is but that bark is too thick for red oak. Red oak is 90% of what I cut, split and burn.

Yep, you are right Bart. It is not red oak.

Them's some big ole rounds! Nice firewood and nice work. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.