Did a radio show today!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

webbie

Seasoned Moderator
Nov 17, 2005
Western Mass.
I had an interview this morning on our local "progressive" AM news station - on the energy situation. We discussed energy and touched on biomass. I would like to develop this into a semi-regular thing with call in questions, other guests, etc.

We'll see - but the hosts said they definitely wanted me back.

If I dig up a recording of it, I'll post the link.

And if you come up with any real "tough" questions, you can post them here, we always have the answers :lol: :lol: :lol:

Joking aside: thats good to hear Craig, another sign that people are re-evaluating (and maybe getting serious) about the whole energy "thing". Was this based more on home heating or energy in general?

Progressive AM radio? That's almost an oxymoron in some parts of the country. Hope you can post a link or podcast.

When you go back next time, maybe you can take your guitar. :) Rick

BeGreen said:
Progressive AM radio? That's almost an oxymoron in some parts of the country. Hope you can post a link or podcast.

Hah, we live in a "different" area here - you are allowed to be progressive with no excuses......
http://www.whmp.com/

The interview was somewhat news based.....the high price of oil, etc.

We led into the fact that I have been through 3 of these (72, 79 and now) and nothing has been done - policy wise. We discussed the biomass electrical generating station they are trying to put in near here, and I mentioned Maine Energy Systems with their 10% of homes (pellet) goal. We touched on biomass in general as part of the solution, etc.

Just how progressive ?

That's a unique set of call letters.
Whimp, hemp and hump radio seem to be avoided on the web .

One of Rachel Maddows "home" stations - she is a local here. For those who don't know, she is an MSNBC contrib a well a an Air America host.

The station is "ours" until 10am, at which time national shows like Steph Miller, and Rachel take over. Then it becomes Red Sox when games are on.

They are champions of the whole "buying local" and "community" ideals. It's fun hearing they have folks like the Northampton Parking Czar on for interviews.....after my interview they had the big local Food Bank on, who are experiencing (as you can imagine) a run-on-the-bank in terms of folks who cannot afford food.

All right Craig, way to go! Glad you had the opportunity to spread the word and hope you have more chances!

BeGreen said:

Yes, and oxymoron in Mass, Seattle (PNW?), Portland, San Francisco... or public radio anywhere.

Craig should fit right in... and on "The View" on tv too.

Craig,

AWESOME!

I had an environmental radio show on the web for a while. I tended to focus on energy issues. It is a HUGE area of relevance, in our collective futures, obviously. I got tired of zero pay and 100% of research/writing/production, but it was my wacked-out "producer/owner" that finally made it intolerable. I wearied of showing up in my time slot, only to find that I was suddenly rushed out of it (repeatedly) either by surprise guests or misscheduled (by the producer) shows.

However, I bet it's more satisfying to be a guest than a host. I intereviewed a Columbia Unvierstity tree-ring scientist, from Lahmont-Doherty, and all he had to do was show up, yet he was great! I bet you were the same, huh? He knew is stuff cold, just as you do, so I'm sure it went well for you.

However, I am even MORE pleased to learn that you are a liberal/progressive radio listener! I would have hoped so, but you never know.... I listened to Air America from Day 1, having bought an XM/satellite radio to do so. Of course, as you know, Air America fired the majority of their good hosts (Liz Winstead, who co-hosted "Morning Sedition" with Rachel Maddow and "Chuck D" of "Public Enemy." Of course, Rachel Maddow has since been rehired, obviously, and MARK MARON!!!!, MIKE MALLOY!, Sam Seder, and Geneane Garofalo and Al Franken left of their own accords, I believe, the latter, of course, to run for Senator of MN!).

But as you know, Air America has canned most of the good hosts. (I do not include Randi Rhodes in that group, however--though she is very smart, articulate and well-informed, I find her worship of her own ego absolutely intolerable--especially when she beats up on guests who she is too dense to realize are actually in support of her! Similarly, I have also wearied of Rachel Maddow's self-promotion--witness her "Ask Dr. Maddow" segment. I seriously doubt she has an MD or even a Ph.d. I, in fact, do have a "juris doctor," (J.D. degree) but I don't refer to myself as a "doctor" or in other, obviously-self-agrandizing terms. I know Rachel is in pursuit of a "talking head" gig on TV and I suspect she may compromise her progressive values just to secure one--witness her repeated appearances on Fox (is that right?) with Reich-wing talker Patrick Buchanan, as "Exhibit 1." You heard it here first, so don't blame the messenger, 'kay? LOL

Craig, have you heard/do you like Mike Malloy? Thom Hartmann?

These two gentlemen make the self-promoting efforts of Randi and Rachel seem laughable-pathetic, by comparison. They're both UNegotistical, and FAR more effective, in getting the TRUTH out, IMO.

I have become a "Founding Member" of www.novamradio.com, SOLELY to hear MIKE MALLOY, from 9pm - midnight, EST, M-F, but I also LOVE Thom Hartmann! (Hartmann is on www.novamradio.com from noon - 3pm, M-F.). You can listen to these hosts FREE, daily, on www.novamradio.com, but to hear Mike Malloy COMMERCIAL FREE, in reruns, you have to pay for the $100./year "Founding Member" membership.

For our XM listeners--XM runs part of Hartmann's show, daily, from like 8pm to 10pm on channel 165. It's ironic that XM calls it "Thom Hartmann rerun" since they DO NOT carry Hartmann in his real-time slot of noon-3pm! (At least not in the NYS market). But, whatever--it's free for XM listeners, and Hartmann is the SECOND BEST RADIO HOST IN THE NATION! (After the rage-imbued Mike Malloy, of course! LOL)

Mike Malloy calls B*sh what he is (a "giggling murderer," a "murderous bastard," and calls the whole administration a "murderous cabal" or, simply, "The B*sh Crime Family." [/b]

Mike Malloy is a LIBERAL GUN OWNER! (And when I say "gun" I really mean "guns.")

His wife, Kathy, probably 25 years his junior, (I'm guessing-could be more) is incredibly talented, despite coming from a nursing background to radio production, and plays THE BEST "bumper music" I've ever heard. She is also very articulate, and contributes to his daily blog on www.novamradio.com and on www.mikemalloy.com. Plus, her semi-frequent contributions are highly comical, relevant, or both. And she's HOT!!!!!!!!! They have a 4 year old, named Molly, who makes infrequent appearances, and is adorable.

And Thom Hartmann, who has written and/or co-authored approx. 30+ books, is perhaps the most well-read, intelligent, gentlemanly and academically-accomplished radio host who has EVER breathed on a mircophone! I **** you not! Hartmann's knowlegde of history, labor relations, UNIONS, geopolitics, etc... is simply STAGGERING! I have a J.D. and my g.f. has an M.B.A. with an undergrad in Art History, and yet, when we listen to Thom Hartmann, we just look at each other, jaws dropped, and shake our heads, at his knowledge and accomplishments.)

Yet nothing scratches the patriotic itch quite like Mike Malloy's outraged railings, interspersed with some of the most telling analysis available on the (virtual) radio dial (web/XM/Sirius-only).

Here are some links:

http://www.novamradio.com/live/

http://www.thomhartmann.com/

Of Air America's current lineup, I only listen to Mark Green's "Clout," which I do think is worthwhile, particularly as he is pretty outspoken about the need to conduct a REAL investigation of 9/11/01.

Craig, I am SO GLAD the founder of this wonderful site is a liberal/progressive radio listener!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And congratulations on your radio appearance! And may there be many more!

Was there a link in this thread, to your show? I didn't see one, but I would gladly listen to it!

Warmly,

Peter

Wow, thanks for all the links...

Yeah, I just showed up without notes or preparation - after all, I get my practice here! I told them by email that 10 minutes was easy...I could BS for hours if needed...so, see, the forums here are good for honing your chops!

I listen to Thom Hartmann when he is on an I am driving. Certainly he has a point of view, but at least it is based on something (education, travel, etc.) - what amazes me about talk radio are folks that actually don't know anything whipping other folks into a frenzy. If either host or audience actually read a book, they would learn a lot more...

Since I don't drive very much, I don't listen very much. My current listening tends toward Podcasts - when I walk or exercise. For that, I like just about anything - like Fresh Air, Talk of the Nation, Science Friday, etc.

Heck, maybe they will have me on Science Friday............onward and upward.

Status
Not open for further replies.