1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Did I do ok here?

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by griz7674, Feb 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. griz7674

griz7674 New Member

Loc:
    Illinois
    I had a guy offer me his pile of firewood for $200. I showed up this evening and it was a pile that was roughly 15 foot long x 5 foot high and 2 lengths deep (various lengths). I do not know what the type of wood is but it's been in his garage for a bit over 3 years. He had helped cut it and then stacked it for his fireplace only to have his wife move out on him. Thus, he basically never touched the wood. This is my first experience with estimating piles of wood but thought $200 for 3 year old wood was in the ballpark. I am burning it right now and there is no hissing etc. The wood took right off without any fuss.

Bob

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. gorsuchmill

gorsuchmill New Member

Loc:
    Central MD
    Sounds like you did fine. Without knowing the wood length, you probably have from 1.5 to just over 2 cords. If it's hardwood, split and well seasoned, then it seems like you got a pretty good deal.
  3. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    Tough to say, since you said "various lengths", and didn't say what kind of wood it is. Assuming an average length of 16", you'd have about a cord and a half of whatever it is, so you paid $133/cord for it. Whether or not that's a good deal depends on what the going price is in your neck o' the woods for the typw wood it is. Well seasoned is definitely a good thing. If it's burning well, that's a plus, fer sure. Rick
  4. griz7674

griz7674 New Member

Loc:
    Illinois
    I would say the average length is in between 16 and 20 inches. I need to trim off a few odd pieces where the branches are still attached but overall the length is about the same. The largest part of the pile is still unsplit chunks. As he recalled, it was 3 decent size tree's.

Bob
  5. Jamess67

Jamess67 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central Illinois
    Where are you at in Illinois? I can help you test out some of that wood just to make sure its seasoned :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.