Did I do right by my neighbor?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beetle-Kill

Minister of Fire
Sep 8, 2009
Colorado- near the Divide
This was funny to me. I am just about ready to pull in to my drive, and I notice a mini-van behind me. OK, turn on the blinker and pull in. Now mind you, I had the truck bed 3/4 full, and the trailer pretty full (1.5 cord total), but nothing out of the ordinary. The mini-van pulls in behind me, so I figure they're lost and need directions-or something. Nope, I hop out to say "Hi", and the first thing out of their mouths is, "Are you the wood guy?" I went "Huh?"...long story short, they thought I sold wood 'cause of the stacks out front. Very nice folks, needed 2 cord so I'm setting them up with 3 cord of logs next weekend. Now to get the wood, I'm driving 1.5 hrs. each way, for a 1.5 cord load. 2 trips on my part. I calculated my fuel consumption, and doubled it, so I told them $80.00 per load(x2) total. One load Pine, the other Aspen- their request. They will buck it and split it, I just have to unload it. Sooo.. have I done right by my nighbors, or is $80.00 too much? (prev. post- I have a HUGE amount of 6'-8' logs ready to go, currently 50-60 cord and still counting). Thanks all, JB

If you like the deal & they like the deal.
Good deal!

Beetle-Kill said:
This was funny to me. I am just about ready to pull in to my drive, and I notice a mini-van behind me. OK, turn on the blinker and pull in. Now mind you, I had the truck bed 3/4 full, and the trailer pretty full (1.5 cord total), but nothing out of the ordinary. The mini-van pulls in behind me, so I figure they're lost and need directions-or something. Nope, I hop out to say "Hi", and the first thing out of their mouths is, "Are you the wood guy?" I went "Huh?"...long story short, they thought I sold wood 'cause of the stacks out front. Very nice folks, needed 2 cord so I'm setting them up with 3 cord of logs next weekend. Now to get the wood, I'm driving 1.5 hrs. each way, for a 1.5 cord load. 2 trips on my part. I calculated my fuel consumption, and doubled it, so I told them $80.00 per load(x2) total. One load Pine, the other Aspen- their request. They will buck it and split it, I just have to unload it. Sooo.. have I done right by my nighbors, or is $80.00 too much? (prev. post- I have a HUGE amount of 6'-8' logs ready to go, currently 50-60 cord and still counting). Thanks all, JB

With gas, oil, tires, wear and tear on you truck, your time and labor to load and unload twice, I'd say they are getting a great price....and owe you a "Come over for grilled burgers" night.

Can you pull a return loaded trailer as you bring back theirs? Now that's where a little profit would make a big difference... ;>)

Bill

Bill

They LOVE the deal, so I didn't know if I was being a sucker or not? To me, a neighbor is a friend in the making, so I'll do this and see how it pans out. Honestly, it's very awkward for me to charge somebody for something like this. Probably why I have no money and alot of "friends"! JK BTW- BDave, what did you do with your shed roof?

billjustbill said:
Beetle-Kill said:

With gas, oil, tires, wear and tear on you truck, your time and labor to load and unload twice, I'd say they are getting a great price....and owe you a "Come over for grilled burgers" night.

Can you pull a return loaded trailer as you bring back theirs? Now that's where a little profit would make a big difference... ;>)

Bill
Hey Bill, I don't understand what you mean by a return loaded trailer? Trust me, they have nothing I'd want to haul out.

Just pull an extra load of wood for your home as you bring the two loads back for them....

Bill, I think I understand. It would work if I wasn't pulling it up over 11K elevation in traffic. If I was on flat ground, I could haul double what I do. I max out at 2 cord on a low traffic day.

54 bucks a cord delivered is very generous. 3 cord would have taken them a long time with the minivan.

Beetle-Kill said:

I think it's a nice deal for them, we need more neighbors like you beetle-kill. ;-)

zap

Good fences make good neighbors . . . bollocks I say . . . I say good acts of kindness leads to good neighbors . . . it'a about looking after each other . . . helping each other . . . and having one act of kindness repaid in kind . . . hopefully these neighbors realize the good deal they've got . . . and hopefully they'll pay this kind act forward by helping another person in kind.

I'd pay that rate. I wish I had a neighbor that could get it for me. It's would save me a lot of time and work. It's not easy to get into the timber and fell the trees and then process them into log form. I know that it's not the hardest part of the process, but it's sure worth more than $80x2 for three cord....

I would say you did good, and they did good. Heck you might get a wood cutting buddy out of the deal ;)

Sounds like you gave a good deal and they accepted. Good neighbors are worth a lot! Many times it is a benefit to help out a neighbor. Sometimes it is a long time before that neighbor helps in return but it usually comes back to you, so keep on doing good.

I wish I could sell pine.
I'd quit my day job.

Wow, one heck 'uv a long day today. Thanks all,sounds like I'm building up my Karma account if nothing else. Still feels good to help out, not a total cynic yet. I said "yet".

Status
Not open for further replies.